Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Other - Europe · 1 month ago

European City Break Ideas?

I want to surprise my girlfriend with a trip away for her birthday. It'll be for a couple of days in February and I just can't seem to decide on a European city. I was more or less set on Krakow but it's working out insanely expensive for flights so may leave that for later in the year. I know it'll be cold pretty much no matter where we go but really need help deciding between a few (or any other ideas).

-Prague (I've been before, she hasn't)

-Budapest (Same again)

-Berlin

-Vienna

-Lisbon

-Porto

Are any of the above particularly ideal for couples? Also open to France but couldn't think of anywhere other than Paris which we've been to. Thanks for the help!

It’s a good idea to surprise your girlfriend with a city break. Not yet decided on the place? As the February month most of the places are cool. So, I would love to suggest you Granada in Spain’s Andalusia region. Moreover, this city doesn’t get too cold in February and also a very affordable place to spend a couple of days. So, think about it. Most importantly, there are diverse sightseeing places and Arab baths to keep you warm and relaxed. Above all, it is an excellent destination for couples. 

Flights tend to be relatively affordable to Prague and Budapest.  Those are my two favorite cities in Europe, unless you count the European side of Istanbul.  Honestly, I have been to Vienna four times and it is probably the most boring city in Europe (apologies to the Austrians, but you know Salzburg and Innsbruck are way cooler).  Lisbon and Porto can be fun - Porto especially if you like port wine.  I'd recommend eating at Restaurante Essência.  

• SB1 month agoReport

I just came from Prague. It is a fun cheap city, but freezing cold this time of year for. I would not suggest Now. I went to Vienna too in Dec which is also nice.  Although Vienna was also cold, it was not as cold as Prague. Go to a warmer climate in Spain, in Feb. or another warmer 
      city.

• Orla C

I'd go with Vienna, Lisbon or Porto. 

February is cold. Take her to Spain which has a warmer climate and not so expensive. Spain is lovely like Barcelona or Madrid. Barcelona is warmer than Madrid. Or even try Valencia, Spain. 

Paris, Amsterdam, and Venice are my top 3 or shall i say my last 3 trips, loved them all and are better set up for vacations. more to do and see in the bigger areas   

you cant go wrong with Barcelona ..lovely city ..lots to see and do ..and not cold either 

What are her interests?

What does she enjoy doing / seeing?

Does she have a passport?

Can she get the time off work?

Will you be getting travel insurance etc?

Yes, it will be cold pretty much anywhere in Europe in February and a trip "for a couple of days" hardly seems worth effort. It will be time to come back by the time you get there. Athens is a possibility though.

Why not have a nice break in the U.K.? There are lots of classy places to go for a 2-day luxury stay that time of year - and it doesn't take forever queuing up at airports to get to them either.

Nice on the Cote d'Azur in France. Lots to see and fine restaurants.

What is your (and her) nationality?

From where will you travel?