CHINA. High speed driver-less TRAIN goes into Service. Top Speed? 217.48 MPH. Why is the US so far behind when it come to high speed trains?
TOP TEN FASTEST TRAINS in the world.
186.4 mph - THSR 700T - Taiwan.
186.4 mph - ETR 500 Frecciarossa - Italy.
198.8 mph - SNCF TGV Duplex - France.
198.5 mph - Alstom Euroduplex - France
198.8 mph - E5 Series Shinkansen Hayabusa - Japan.
217.4 mph - Talgo 350 - Spain.
217.4 mph - Siemens Velaro E/AVS 103 - Spain.
223.6 mph - AGV Italo - Italy.
236.2 mph - Harony CRH 380A - China.
267.8 mph - Shanghai Maglev - China
"Amtrak's Acela Express is America's fastest train, yet its average speed is only 68 mph on the trip between Boston and Washington, D.C. The train does hit 150 mph along a few stretches of straight track, but that hardly warrants the tag bullet train." - Fortune Magazine
- 0NE TRlCK P0NYLv 71 month agoFavorite Answer
USA trains --- MAXIMUM SPEED --- 60MPH.
It's not the trains; they can go faster.
It's the track infrastructure.
- 1 month ago
Because we Enjoy the View from the Slow Moving Trains
- ZheiaLv 61 month ago
It's not just about speed, it's about enjoying the journey. But the US has an extensive airline system to compete with.
- Dale-ELv 71 month ago
USA does not have a similar human congestion problem that would pay for a similar train. In the USA the authorities usually have to answer for public waste. Need is said to be the mother of invention. USA don't need it.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- RichardLv 61 month ago
Passenger trains are obsolete technology.
- Old Man DirtLv 71 month ago
There was a study a few years back on making the Boston to Washington DC rail corridor a high speed train route. The reason it was not pursued had to do with the number of at grade crossings (roads crossing the tracks) was too great and to correct that problem cost prohibitive.
That is one of the few area's were a high speed rail service would be "feasible" based on existing traffic.
- regeruggedLv 71 month ago
We have train service and it is a money loser. We have airports everywhere. We have cars and highways. We don't need something people don't use.
- Trump 2020Lv 71 month ago
The U.S. is too busy wasting money on homeless shelters, welfare, education and medical care for illegal aliens, fat pensions for government workers, and various other give away programs. China doesn't do that.
- Anonymous1 month ago
1) High cost of establishing and maintaining infrastructure and safe right-of-ways.
2) In all those countries trains are subsidized by their governments. In the USA, the government would be in direct competition with private enterprise if they started funding it, so among other things there would be extremely heavy political lobbying against public funding.
3) Risk for private investors too high compared to other established modes of transportation.
4) In the areas where high-speed trains would be most useful there is too much urban and suburban congestion for such high speeds to be practical.
5) Over longer distances air travel is far more efficient.
6) "Welcome aboard our new driver-less train. Please sit back, relax, and enjoy the scenery. We guarantee that nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong..."
.Source(s): College education in transportation economics