Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHome Schooling · 2 months ago

How to convince my parents to let me be online schooled? ?

I want to be online schooled for 9th grade. The stress of school is too much and has been terrible for my mental health. Public school is just not for me. 

I did research and I came to the conclusion that online school is the best option, but my mom can't decide. How can I convince her? 

write a list of pros and cons about being online schooled and maybe a report on what online schooling is like... then give your mom a week or so to consider her options and don't bug her about it.  You don't have to be online schooled, you could homeschool instead of learning online by the way... maybe with a private tutor or something if that's an option.

Are you aware that most free online schools follow the same curriculum as public schools? You will be dealing with the same stress. It sounds to me like you need to see a doctor and figure out why you are so stressed then work with a therapist to help you manage the stress. But, online school will not end school stress. You are expected to put in the same amount of hours which includes sitting in front of a computer.

Source(s): homeschooling parent for 18yrs - created my own curriculum, I taught my kids not a computer, 2 have graduated homeschool, 1 graduated a 4yr college and has a degree currently working on her masters. Another was accepted into nursing school. One more to go.

If you are that stressed and it has that affect on your mental health you should go to a doctor and you, your parents and the doctor should come to a decision about what is best for you. Your parents need guidance. But you saying "I'm stressed" doesn't really help them help you. There needs to be clear, honest, open dialogue and if online school is best for you then go for it. Your school district may also have an alternative high school and this can be very good for some students (although it often is a place for trouble-makers also, so it has its pros and cons)

• Laurie

Online school will not teach you how to deal with stress. You would only be delaying your development, and that would not be good.

THAT is what you should work on, and your parents - perhaps with the help of a therapist - should help you.

In my state there is at least one accredited on-line home high school program provided by the state. To my knowledge, it is free. It takes quite a bit of self discipline to stay on top of on-line classes. I took several on-line classes in college because every class wasn't offered every semester and I wanted to graduate as quickly as possible. They were OK but I preferred on-ground classes because I liked the interaction with other students in the class and class discussions. There seemed to be a LOT more writing required but it was a post grad class. The isolation was just a little weird but I tend to be an extravert. I understand students who are more introverted LOVE on-line classes....?