Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 months ago

Is there something wrong with me or am I just lazy?

In the past like 6 months I've been feeling pretty down all of the time, the littlest things make me extremely upset, I'm bored and things that I used to find fun i no longer have interest in. I'm completely unmotivated and do nothing but lie in bed or on the couch, eat, and look at my phone, though a lot of times I just stare at the wall for extended periods of time. I've been eating basically only carbs and I havent been sleeping well. My grades are suffering because even though I really want to do my work and do well, I cant make myself do anything anymore, and because of this I feel like a failure. I have ADHD so I guess that could be part of it but I'm not sure. So am I just lazy or could there possibly be some other issue here?

Favorite Answer

Knowing almost nothing about you, it's possible that you have certain bad habits that we could call laziness, but it's possible to lazy and depressed. 

There are things in your answer that suggest depression, such as this -

"I'm bored and things that I used to find fun i no longer have interest in."

You can take a depression screening test designed for teenagers - KADS 6-Item.

I'll give you depression info, also school work advice.

First, I want to say that things that can take your mind off your problems for a while can be therapeutic, so long as you don't let them dominate you and you don't get anything done. Exercise is really good, and you don't have to be an athlete to benefit from it.

Here's something that people here have said is helpful with that problem. Look all over and do a complete inventory. You should be able to find at least one or two things you like, such as your favorite music or movie. If there's just one movie you like, watch it once or twice. Then, find movies that are like it in some way - with similar story or the same actor. Keep adding to your entertainment supply to give it variety.

Treatment usually begins by seeing the GP, who can give you a physical and a referral. I mention referral because just a bottle of pills is not a very good approach.

The things you'd want to tell the doctor are how you feel at different times of day, any symptoms you might have such as change in appetite or sleep, and things in your life affecting how you feel.

If you're depressed, I can't tell you exactly what you need. There's no one size fits all solution. I can tell you though that there are healthy lifestyle choices that can enhance the effects of the standard treatments with office visits. This answer has details, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS -

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

About your school work, very often people can bring their grades up by doing a better job of studying for tests. I'll show you answers with study advice, including one for ADHD.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181...

There are things called mind-body methods that help with mood disorders and perhaps ADHD as well. The answer above has details.