Why do they keep making these shows ? ?

My wife watches 16 And Pregnant and Teen Mom I don't get why anyone would watch this crap it sets a bad example to young girls. These shows are the reason my wife doesn't want kids I can see why. The saddest part is it seems like these teen mothers or they're parents blame they're selves for having kids at a young age. Me and my wife aren't teens we're adults yet she still doesn't want any. She's worried I'll be like all the guys on the show and all the guys her friends have had they run off if they have a kid I told her I wouldn't do that to her I been with her for about 2 years I think if I wanted to leave I would have by now. She's on birth control she's still worried about having kids. There's some really mean parents on that show too I watched an episode with her last week where this girl's boyfriend's mom got mad at them she kept saying " abort that kid " but she was black no offense who knows what goes on inside a black person's head also she was high on drugs. Also another one we watched where this girl had twins she and her boyfriend got married then him and her mom started having a yelling fit and fighting. Why do they keep making these stupid shows ? Is having kids these days really that bad ? 

"Who knows what goes on inside a black person's head"—hmmm, maybe the same things that go on in a white person's head? Or an Italian's or Guatemalan's head? Considering we're all human, WTF kind of comment is that?

The show is mostly there to show young girls why it's bad to get pregnant at a young age.

• Fred

Why do they keep making these shows?

Your wife is watching them right?  Including commercial advertisements? 

Those businesses pay for 'air time', advertisement development, and all the expenses required to produce the 'reality show'.  They increase the price of the 'hard goods' you purchase when you buy them in a store to cover that expense of production and broadcast.  The product manufactures feel that you and the public would stop buying what they produce if they stopped exposing their products in 'commercials' to the public and stopped paying the expense of core show drawing your view.

In short: they do it to make money... YOUR MONEY!!!

If I were you; I would just be thankful that your spose doesn't HAVE TO watch the scripted trash I endure!  She could be watching 90 Day Affair, Dr. Pimple Popper, and … the new, My Feet are Killing Me!!!  … And calls up her Sister multiple times a day to rehash details!!!

Excuse me; I've got to go Hurl!       

• edward

First off those people get paid good money for those shows. And second they make them because there is still a market for them

Money

Those kids should be forced to have an abortion or have the baby taken away and given up for adoption since they will never take care of it, never make anything of them selves, make the parents take care of the child while they party or do nothing all day, leech off the government 

I don't like and don't watch reality TV, but there must be enough people who do that it makes the sponsors money, and that's what it's all about.

If you wife thinks you will be like a guy on that show, then she is far too immature to be married, much less having kids

Sherlock, these shows make the networks money 💰💲

• LizB

How do they set a bad example? The girls on those shows are clearly miserable, because having a baby before you're ready is incredibly hard. Those shows don't make motherhood look glamorous AT ALL, and any idiot teen girl who decides to get pregnant after watching those shows is dumb enough to have probably done it anyway.

And yes, having kids is hard. When you're married and financially secure and both partners feel ready to have kids, then it's more manageable because you accept that it's hard work and sacrifices have to be made. It still is much harder than most new parents think it will be (chronic sleep deprivation really does a number on you), but if you're ready and actually want kids and have a strong, loving relationship with your spouse and good strategies for fair division of child and home labor, then it's very doable. Even quite rewarding at times.

I think it's pretty clear that your wife doesn't feel ready for motherhood, though, and so you and she should put off having kids until she does. Mothers tend to wind up disproportionately burdened when it comes to raising kids (look up "the mental load"), so it is exceptionally important that the female partner feel prepared for pregnancy and childbirth and then the 18+ years that follow. In the meantime, just trust that when she's ready, she'll let you know.

• Kelly

Why do you think it only sets bad examples of girls?  Sexist much?

Anyway, I made it through 2 teenagers so far and they didn't watch that.  Neither of them (both girls) is interested in it.  Those shows do promote teenage pregnancy, though I don't think that was the original intentions of it.  The lifestyles they're able to maintain while being a young parent is unrealistic to the average teenager.  

The shows those are scripted and big money makers for the networks.

• LizB

@sarah - nothing about the shows encourages viewers to be like them, though. If anything they showcase what a disaster their lives are, and should be taken as cautionary tales rather than something to aspire to.