Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationBoard Games · 1 month ago

Why do people insist on dragging games out to the rotten end?

This women has 78 points, there are only 16 tiles left. She is not going to beat my score, why doesn't she just forfeit the game at this stage? I do not understand that mentality? I would. Any insight / speculation appreciated, I don't want to ask her directly, because its kind of rude after she has been playing for a number of hours.

* I am not just remarking on this woman, this happens all the time in online scrabble. I don't understand it. I quit as soon as someone scores more than 4 bingos.

Favorite Answer

The majority of the time, they're just playing casually & choose to play the game to it's natural conclusion.  This is usually as a "Good Sportsmanship" idea that was ingrained with them (usually parents, guardians, teachers, ect.), even when they're losing.

While I understand your side of the argument, as you have an outstanding lead (by ~351 points at time of the screenshot) & it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY they will overcome that (it's possible, as the highest scoring move in history so far is 396 points...  & there's a theoretical maximum scoring move is 1,458 points...  but it's highly improbable), but they see quitting the game for any reason except for extenuating circumstances as "Bad Form".

You may want to exercise your soft skills with your opponent to inquire if they wish to conclude the game despite the outstanding lead & just run from there.

• Josh1 month agoReport

See,  I know that I am not going to get a more informative balanced answer than this, so I immediately chose it. It saves everyone time.

Can't you just send her straight to hell with your thoughts? That's what I would do.

• Josh1 month agoReport

You know how annoying this is, you KNOW

If that is Facebook scrabble, oppose to the official videogame, I have a theory that a lot of random opponents on there are not real people. They are actually bots / algorithms to help generate gameplay when there is low traffic and to match player stats.

As actor Kirk Douglas once quoted in the B-movie 'Saturn 3'  “robots do not understand sacrifice or compromise, they only have basic subroutines to draw from, they are programmed to win.

maybe shes getting salty or doesnt notice

(the blue guy is you)

There is a lot of people out there that play the game for the fun of the game winner lose they don't care they're playing just to play the game. It happens all the time on online games like Pogo there's hundreds of people that know they're not going to win against other players but they play because they want to play the game you started to play you owe the person the courtesy I'm finishing the game even if the person loses unless you made an agreement before the game that when it became apparent that the person couldn't win that the person give up. Finish the game and you learn a lesson because the person is teaching you a game it's called I'm not a quitter. Don't Force the person to be a quitter just because you don't like people that aren't quitters

well done “genius”, if she comes across this now you've just revealed all your letters

• 1 month agoReport

yeah

She could be mentally disabled

Maybe she is just really really bad at math.