Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

Are semiautomatic handguns too dangerous for advanced seniors to handle?

Seems like revolvers are safer because of the likelihood of forgetting there's one in the chamber. I've seen it happen.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Matt
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You can have the same issue with a revolver.... So, no, semi autos are not more dangerous or safer than wheel guns.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

No I am over 80 and am a better shot with any weapon that most americans

• Edna
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Semi-automatic handguns aren't dangerous at all. You have to pull the trigger before the gun will fire; the gun won't just 'go off' on its own. The gun has a safety switch to prevent that from happening. 

'Semi-automatic' refers to the manner in which the gun's mechanism 'automatically' loads a fresh cartridge into the chamber and then ejects the expended cartridge from the chamber after the gun is fired. It throws the empty shell casing to the ground; you don't have to remove the empty shell casing from the gun. There's nothing dangerous in that. 

• Snid
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It depends on the individual, don 't you think?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I don't know what "advanced seniors" means other than someone really old, but I think the deciding factor, rather than age, is ability to handle a potentially dangerous weapon.

• Janet
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Most seniors do NOT have memory loss.

• Edna
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

ESPECIALLY not when it comes to firearms. 

• 2 months ago

totally depends on the abilities of the "senior".... and the pistol or revolver...... I am 73 and I have adjusted my choices accordingly...... for target.... I can use most of the same I always have..... but for security and self defense I have had to make some modifications.... and still have both a revolver and two semi-autos...... I use lighter load rounds in all.... and I have modified the grips..... and the slides on the autos... I can still meet the standards of my certified instructor

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.