Should I let my child's father in his life?

I've known my unborn child's father for over 12 years, I'm 6 months pregnant and he at first denied being the father, and then he accepted that he was the father..but then wanted me to have an abortion which I refused. His true feelings about me were expose and he said he did not want a baby with me and having his baby is not going to make him want me. He said that he is not attending any doctors appointments or signing any birth certificate, which I have accepted. But chances are later he may feel different and want to come around and get to know my child and I'm not sure if he should have that opportunity. I am ready to move, change my number and cut all ties off with him..should I do that or wait and see if he has a change of heart and allow him to be involved in my child's life. Thanks in advance, First time mom!

Favorite Answer

Honestly, you made decisions that affect the both of you. Choosing to have this child was your decision and that's fine, but, you cannot just cut the biological father out (unless he signs papers where he opts out entirely). Otherwise, without legal paperwork, he is entitled to have access to his child. Stop waiting around for him to change and just live your life for you and your child. Meanwhile, the BIO dad has to pay you child support regardless of being there or not. See a lawyer to get the proceedings started.

• Jason

You are right by choosing not to lose the gift of life which many people in the world do not have but you have, do not go with the abortion, it is a LIFELONG REGRET, you will realize what I am saying today when you see the smile of your little one

Good Luck!!!

He doesn't have to sign a birth certificate. No one signs a birth certificate. You just say who the father is and they write that down. Please do that for your child, even if you don't like this guy now.

You don't have to wait around for him. You also don't have to change your number and cut ties. You don't have to do anything. It sounds like he's not reaching out to you. So don't do anything, just go on with your life.

You need to make plans for supporting your child and raising it alone, because I doubt this guy is suddenly going to get the award for Father of the Year.

Unless he is dangerous, keeping him out would be a mistake.

• MissA

Why are you totally willing to let him off of his responsibilities? Presumably you didn't put a gun to his head and make him impregnate you.