jonniebaby asked in TravelCruise Travel · 2 months ago

Are the South America cruise ports a leech fest like they are in the Caribbean?

You are mobbed by a lot of people trying to sell you stuff in some Caribbean ports. I understand it’s their income, but it’s so uncomfortable sometimes. I’ve never been on a South America cruise. 

Some of the worst I ever encountered were in Cartagena.  The very worst were the people in the vendor village in Labadee.  

We had a stop in Turkey.  We did an excellent tour, and when we got back, the tour guide anted to take us to his uncle's carpet factory.  I wanted ice cream so I bailed.  Friend who went said they asked them to take their shoes off, and then they were subjected to non-stop hard sales action, trying to get them to buy carpets.  They actually had to demand their shoes back.  

At any cruise ship stop commercial interests will be there to assist with multiple options on how to empty your wallet.'

"I understand it’s their income"  is all you need to know.

The taxi/bus driver, the trinket peddler, the food or beverage place or whatever is there to great you.