Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionOther - Television · 2 months ago

Can someone explain the obsession with Dr Who to me?

First off, I like the show and watch it if I ever see it on. I realize the show isn't meant to be taken too seriously (kind of like the 60s Batman shows) . 

But I see people (in the US) who are completely obsessed with the show. I know one guy who has decorated his car to look like a Dr Who police box. 

I mean, the special effects are lousy, almost comically bad at times. The writing is marginal. Its entertaining but not laugh out loud funny. And I feel like I have a better understanding of British humor than most Americans. 

I don't get the obsession. Am I missing something? 

The feminists destroyed it, along with Lost In Space and Star Trek.

FCUK FEMINISTS.   FCUK FEMINISTS.   FCUK FEMINISTS. 

No I cannot explain it to you. I don't know what anybody sees in that dreadful show.

I still enjoy watching Dr Who series though I am not obsessed with the show.  (I have been collecting the Funko Pops characters but nothing else Dr Who related except for a tardis Christmas tree decoration).  I recall watching a few shows when I was young and finding the series then rather strange and funny, although I kept watching more.  Over the years since then I have watched a few seasons but missed several others too, but only really became interested in them again about the time of the 9th Doctor.  Cannot readily explains why but I enjoy the lighthearted scripts and tend to miss the old characters as each doctor goes.  Surprised myself to find I still enjoy watching the latest version, 13th, when the Doctor is a female for the first time.  I know some people who are Whovians but I don’t find them any more obsessed than Star Wars, Star Trek etc. fans.  They all seem to be very happy people who enjoy life, with some into hobby type collecting a few themed things.  If that is what obsessed people are supposed to be it doesn’t seem to be a bad thing at all.  

It's fairly new to most americans while the uk has grown up with it.

I am an American and due to Classic Doctor Who being on my local PBS station since the mid 80's I became an instant fan.

Remember how Star Trek l has lived on because of fan's obsession.

I find sci fi/fantasy fans no different than Sports fans who dress up in team colors- paint their faces and know all the statistics.

There's no logic to some things. I mean some people are obsessed with Rocky Horror picture show. Which is absolute trash. Yet people dress up and go see it over and over. 

• Jojo

Some weird people get obsessions about strange things. Its all down to ` There`s nowt as strange as folk`. Eccentrics abound in all corners of this world. I guess its all harmless though and I just think " Whatever floats their boat`. 🤣🤣🤣

Source(s): UK

some people like stupidity.

i think it's just a fad tbh. certain fad shows are good but only for so long until they get dull and boring. such as the office, friends, etc.. they are good then get boring after a while. 

i watched 1 episode of Dr who didn't care for it. i think the only show i watched because it was a fad was the office. took a while for me to get used to it very meh.. but it had some funny bits which i enjoyed. 

• Jedi Jan

Dr Who is anything but simply a fad.  Fad refers to something of a passing whimsy.  Dr Who was probably around before you were born.