Charly Dat asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

Should it be illegal to not protect biker?

Should it be illegal to not build reinforced bike lanes instead of creating painted bike lanes? Because a lot of times, bikers are not allowed to ride their bicycles on sidewalks and are required to ride on the streets even with the most dangerous bike lanes including narrow bike lanes that are extremely dangerous for bikers putting them at much greater risks of hitting hit by cars or trucks. Almost all bike lanes need to have reinforced concrete half-sized walls to shield bikers from cars and trucks, but instead, cities in the United States have create painted. Protected bike lanes with concrete walls need to be installed for the safety of bike riders.

I mean concrete barriers, not walls. Concrete barriers to shield bike riders.

A wall won't save your life at intersections!!!  Still leaves the cyclist vulnerable to the old "Right Hook".  Bike lanes in any shape, form or fashion are a DEATH TRAP!  Bicyclists Belong in the Traffic Lane!!!  https://www.facebook.com/BicyclistsBelongInTheTraf...      

Concrete barrier are expensive and have their own issues, such as impeding motorist's vision at intersections (where most accidents happen.) Plus they reinforce the current opinion by the 'problem' US drivers that bicycles don't belong on the road. To Todd: gas taxes only raise enough funds to maintain highways, which are roads that, for the most part, cyclists avoid. Most road funds come from property and income taxes, which is why electric cars haven't become a bigger issue.

Agreed. A painted line is no protection from a bad driver. Putting Armco everywhere is perhaps excessive, but proper segregation is good in critical areas like narrow busy roads, junctions and the like.

• pmt853

Properly separated cycle lanes might be nice but hugely expensive and the barriers themselves take up space which is often a crucial issue on roads. We are cyclists not bikers.

• Jon

Protecting cyclists with walls would be a very expensive way of enabling drivers to be careless and get away with it.

Better driver training and better law enforcement to get inadequate drivers off the road would probably be cheaper and would protect everyone, not just cyclists. Since driver training and testing fees are paid by the trainee, that element would not cost the taxpayer anything. In the case of the USA, and my native UK, it might be worth investigating adopting the German approach to driver training and testing. 

• David

I’ve been accidentally hit by cars and other cyclists several times. It has always been at lights and in intersections. I have never been sideswiped in traffic. While traffic separation is nice where it can be reasonably achieved, I don’t see any pressing need for the kind of walls you’re describing. I’d much prefer more so-called ”bicycle boxes” in intersections instead.

• Charly Dat2 months agoReport

I mean concrete barriers

Perhaps English isn't your native language.  Cyclist ride bicycles; bikers ride motorcycles. 

It would be nice in the USA if cycling lanes infrastructure were designed like the Netherlands cycling infrastructure.  In the Netherlands there's just as many cyclist using the city streets as motorist. Therefore they designed their cycling infrastructure so that cyclist are able to flow smoothly with motorist while giving cyclist maximum safety.

Unfortunately in the USA there's far more motorist than cyclist. Which is why cycling infrastructure is often poorly designed. Many cycling lanes due to poorly designed infrastructure actually present far more dangers to cyclist than riding in traffic with motorist. 

The important thing is for cyclist to have the skills to ride safely in traffic.  Which is why I personally wouldn't be against a cycling license.  Sadly I do see a lot of idiot cyclist who not only endanger themselves but others as well.  These idiot cyclist cause narrow minded biased motorist/pedestrians to think all cyclist don't obey traffic laws.

Until cycling becomes a larger percentage of traffic; cycling infrastructure probably isn't going to change in most places in the USA.  My advice is for cyclist to watch videos on how to safely ride in traffic. Use helmet mirrors, hand signals and stay alert.  Most of all obey all traffic laws. 

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.
  • Todd

No. That would be too expensive, both for building and maintenance. Nobody would go for it. Cyclists don't buy gas.so they technically don't help pay for road construction. I'm perfectly happy with bike lanes. I remember when there was no such thing where I live. There still isn't in many places where it just isn't feasible to alter the roads. You can bike on the sidewalks here if there is no other option, but you aren't suppose to go any faster than a person on foot.

No. It shouldn't.

• blazingpedals

Hitting cyclists is NOT OK, with or without barriers. The points to consider are, how effective barriers are and at what cost?

A lot easier and cheaper to just legalize bikes on sidewalks.

I have been riding my bike on the sidewalk for years and have never been given any hassle.  And if I did get a ticket for doing that, I would pay my fine and ride on.....on the same sidewalk.