Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesBoston · 2 months ago

Is Boston an ideal city to take a vacation in ?

They have beautiful New England architecture, probably any kind of ethnic food, lots of historic sites and colleges 

• Jerry

I very much enjoy visiting the museums attached to the various colleges, especially the MIT museum, the Harvard Natural History Museum. And I love getting around by bicycle and mass transit. So if you like that stuff too AND your idea of a good vacation is visiting a major city, then Boston is a good destination. 

It's a vastly better place to vacation than 90% of other American cities, but I'm not sure I'd say it's ideal?  It's only really vacation worthy in the spring, summer and fall. You do not want to go to Boston in the winter.  Boston is one of those American cities with a lot of character that is unique to it and it's citizens.  It's very picturesque. 

From an ethnic dining perspective it pales in comparison to NYC or San Francisco. The best ethnic dining is Italian and Chinese.   The seafood is some of the best in the country, just avoid the tourist restaurants like Union Oyster House.

The number 1 industry in Massachusetts is higher education, so yes lots of college campuses you can see if you're into that.  Harvard College is probably the only one worth visiting though.  Many of the colleges (Emerson, BU, Northeastern) are in nondescript buildings that look like any other business in the city.  Possibly the most beautiful school to visit in the area is Endicott, which is located in Beverly MA with a stunning view of ocean.

Lot's of history, lots of good museums.  If you're there during baseball season than Fenway Park is a must.  You can get a commuter train at North Station that can take you out to places like Gloucester or Rock Port.  Cape Cod is a relatively short drive as are places like Newport RI, and Portland ME.  There is an Amtrak train from North Station to Portland, ME, I believe it takes about 2 hours to get there.  You can also get a train at South Station that will get you to NYC in four hours.

I disagree that Boston Logan airport is so terrible.  It's no worse than any of the big city airports.  The airport is located very close to downtown Boston, you can even get the train (called "The T") at the airport to take you into town (you need to take bus from the terminal to the T stop).  While the airport in Manchester, NH is laid back and cleaner it's also a good hours drive from Boston proper, with no traffic.  Flights into Manchester are more expensive than going into Logan and when you tack on the cost to/from Boston it's not worth it in my opinion.

Boston is a lovely town, rich in history and architecture. I will never again fly into the Boston airport. It's even worse than Philidelphia. If you're driving, no problem. If you fly into Manchester NH, it's a lot calmer, the accommodations are more reasonable and you can also enjoy some of the other charms of New England. I am particularly fond of the museum at the Rhode Island School of Design. Great student art, and classic pieces of interest. If you can, go in the autumn and revel in the changing colors of leaves. And eat lobster, lots of lobster.

• Eastside Guz

I like Stories sure wrote a short story for you. I agree with the first paragraph, the best time will be in summer. I was in Alberta Canada in the freezing cold and my father was stationed in Bavaria, Germany with the U.S. Army and couldn't wait to come back (except for the frauleins).

• Murzy

You can walk the Freedom Trail.

• DEBS

I find El Portal, CA and the area to the East of it a much better place for a vacation.  Asking others what ideal is based on your personal preferences seems odd at best.

• marty

I guess I would consider it one of the nicest of the big cities. I have been there a few times over the years and have always been treated great by the locals. There are a lot of historical sights  and just fun places to visit.

Sure if you don’t mind the traffic. I-93 and I-95 are always congested. 

Commuter rail is not all that dependable especially when it’s snowing. 

The New England aquarium is a nice place to visit just not during the summer when it’s scorching hot and you’re waiting in line to get a ticket. 

What is New England architecture. Never heard of it. 

If you want ethnic food you’ll have to drive around. It’s not like manhattan where you have a bunch of restaurants near each other. 

• 2 months agoReport

They have the north end which is little italy and China town 

No people are unfriendly in Boston. Try the Niagara Falls instead  

.

• I Like Stories

Niagara Falls is in Canada, if you don't have a passport you can't get there from the USA.  Also Niagara (town) is very trashy in my opinion.  I respectfully disagree that people in Boston aren't friendly, maybe not as nice as Canadians, but then no American's are.

i dont see why not

Rats running around in the subways, etc.....