So I tried to melt butter in the microwave, which I had done before. I set it for 20 seconds, and suddenly the things starts making an awful noise and I see sparks. When I checks the damage inside Insee that the side actually exploded, and there was smoke. Obviously it’s going in the trash.
The bowl I was using wasnt marked microwave safe but in the years of owning the microwave I had never had a problem with it. I didn’t use it often but when I did I was for over a minute and nothing. I am too paranoid to do this again.
Can someone help me understand what happened?
It was a tiny bit of butter, maybe it wasn’t enough? The bowl? Or maybe the microwave itself?
Might not be the smartest question, but I want to make sure I don’t accidentally mess up my next microwave. Thanks for any answers.
- 1 month ago
Have A Funeral. For Burial, Dig A 4 Foot Deep 3 Foot Wide Hole In Your Back Garden. Chuck A Flower In The Exploded Microwave And Sing A Hymn. Then Bury It.
- susanLv 71 month ago
What an unpleasant surprise!
If the dish you used contains metal, then I'd blame the dish. If the dish has no metal, then I'd blame the microwave. If you have nothing to explain it, I suggest you choose a different brand when you buy your next microwave.
- UndeadlyLv 41 month ago
If your ceramic bowl has a silver or gold decoration then it is not safe for a microwave oven.
- RichardLv 51 month ago
So what is your question?
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- JohnLv 71 month ago
BTW, we put metal in microwaves immersed in water all the time. As long as the waves can't get to it there is no harm done. We do this to heat epoxy glues for dissassembly. Yes, it works just fine. So it wasn't foil in the butter and it wouldn't explode anyway.
- 1 month ago
It might have been one of trumps missiles... watch out WWIII
- sirjester099Lv 61 month ago
You aren't suppose to use metal in a microwave oven
- Anonymous1 month ago
you cannot put aluminum foil or plates made of metal or plastic into a microwave.... I think you did one of those...... some products although it says microwave safe is not recommended for microwave use. I would just use some regular bowl for microwave use.
- 1 month ago
Our last microwave never did that. But our current one always sparks and makes a terrifying sound while it sparks. The microwave is 1100 watts. We have stopped warming it in the microwave if it’s only butter. We always use a a glass bowl.
- billrussell42Lv 71 month ago
probably the 20 seconds was too much and the butter melted then vaporized, creating a mini explosion. The 1000 watts the microwave oven put out was too much for the tiny bit
this you can check by heating some water to see if the microwave oven is still functional.
next time put a glass of water in the microwave oven also to slow down the energy applied to the butter.