Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

A question for sudden wounds on dogs..?

Between the hip and base of tail, I noticed one evening that there was blood all on my collies backend. I cleaned her up and found scabbing. It then was oosing a little green. I kept her home to keep it clean. About a week later I washed her with warm water to clean it again and dry it. When I washed, her whole skin came off her flesh with the fur. She was recently put on medication for a respiratory infection from inhaling water/in the elements. Through the course of the antibiotics, on the 9th day she developed this, what we though was a skin ulcer, but I kept giving the antibiotics. On the 12th day I saw it getting bigger and worse, and I unfortunately just stopped it.. the bleeding stopped, 2 days now, and the green was long gone and the skin came off with a wash. Over the last days it has gotten smaller and is trying to heal. The night and morning before I first noticed, I was grooming her gently and using the rake comb by layer of fur in detail and didn't see or feel anything there. She went to work with me and at the end of the day is when I saw blood and soft scabbing. The vet told be it's urgent, they see her for bloodwork, and that the antibiotic does exactly the opposite for skin. I said alright, but they're determined to think I'm blaming the antibiotic. I have a list of many medications that have caused her to have yellow diarrhea or straight up blood. However, I do not share this info unless cornered. I don't want to disagree with the vets. Could this be a bite?

Favorite Answer

I've had collies and shelties for more than 40 years and this looks like it could be a "hot spot".   This is something these  2 breeds are prone to because of their double coats.  The soft undercoat sometimes seals in moisture, dirt and body heat and a hot spot develops.  The green you saw was infection.

Keep it clean and most importantly DRY and if you have to, trim some of the hair away from it.  You can apply human Triple Antibiotic when it is completely dry.  More brushing and making sure your dog's undercoat isn't damp will help stop them.

Your vet seems to be over reacting or want you to spend more money.  If you don't understand the reason for expensive tests, ask and keep asking.   Please learn to speak up to vets, ask questions and advocate for your pup.  Vets aren't Gods, nor are they infallible.

• Frosty2 months agoReport

We have also had rough collies for generations. And we have used one that has a family for over 40 years! It was then after they told me I had to put my cat down that I started seeking different opinions. My cat is also deathly allergic to vaccines, vets confirmed 2wice, trying to test him.

Is it more under her tail than on her side? It could be a ruptured anal gland. Does it stink to high heaven? If so, it probably a ruptured anal gland.

It doesn't look like a regular wound. If it a ruptured anal gland, the dog needs to see a Vet to sew the dog up. A very painful thing to happen to a dog.

You can google more information on this if it sounds like it may be the anal glands.

Let's see.  The Veterinarian doesn't know but you think strangers on the Internet know.

I do know you didn't get medical treatment for the dog when this started.

It could be one of several types of injury: a bite, something EMBEDDED under the skin (stick, thorn, barbed wire piece) or that made a deep puncture wound & a resulting infection started from it when it closed over and you had no IDEA it was there or needed to be flushed out even if the (thorn, nail  etc.) was NOT in the wound.

IMO, you need to consult a vet.  You DO NOT KNOW if this was a just a puncture (whether bite or something else) or if something is STILL under the skin, even something small like a splinter of wood.  (If so, it WILL NOT HEAL until it is cleaned OUT!)  So a medical professional, will be required to check the wound.  IMO, you need an appropriate antibiotic for the wound and you may need an ointment or salve for the external side.  One salve that is SAFE (even if licked) that your vet can give you is Mupirocin 2% (esp for dematological use on dogs).

Maybe you have lost FAITH in the current vets, if so find someone recommended through other dog owners or through reviews online.  DO NOT use a chain store line of vets.  

IMO, the antibiotics did not CAUSE this (per se) and please tell me -WHAT antibiotic INJURIES or hurts skin or causes loss of skin?  Sounds like you had necrotic or severely damaged tissue involved.

Raw diets do not cause any of this (utter HOGWASH based on loo$ing profit from you not buying any of THEIR dog food.)   HOWEVER, even my holistic & raw foods proponent vet, would suggest that you switch to a home-cooked diet -while your dog seems to have a weak or compromised immune system.

If the dog was given antibiotics for another reasons - they may have strengthened the immune system and helped the dog fight - what had been a minor issue (but if something was already FESTERING under the skin) yes, it likely caused it (indirectly) to "BLOW UP" as the body began to try and fight it an & PUSH the infection & resulting toxins OUT.

Any and all antibiotics will mess up the gut and digestive tract as they kill everything - even GOOD bacteria.  So dogs (and people) often end up with diarrhea after taking them if not ALSO given a probiotic at the same time.  Vet examples: Fortiflora or Prosynbiotic (Standard Process) or OTC - Culturelle.

• PR

If you aren't happy with your vet, try a different vet. I have in the past been afraid to tell my vet things. I have since learned to just talk with them. Let them know what is going on. Animals all respond to medications in various ways. I would just be sure this is healing. 

Be sure the fur around the wound is clipped so you can see the beginning and end of the wound. Dogs have a propensity to have wounds that seem small, but can be larger once the fur is trimmed. 

Be sure it is clean around the wound. Try using some water with a little iodine mixed in it to gently daub the wound. If you have any questions, whatsoever, on this be sure to take the dog to the vet. Of course, you know green or yellow both mean infection. Don't let the infection get worse. 

If the dog is an outside dog, consider keeping her indoors, and even after the wound is healed, for her own welfare. Too many things can happen to a dog who is left outdoors. 

Our dog had a wound on her face that was hidden under that short fur. We finally decided it must have been bite wounds. She had been nosing around the cable box when we would let her outside. Once it showed, it got a lot worse. I did not think her face would heal - but it did. If you have any problems, please call your vet. 

In regards to meds causing diarrhea or blood - use probiotics. Talk to your vet if the dog is having digestive issues. It could cost more money if you are not communicating with your vet.

• Frosty2 months agoReport

Yes, it turned out to be a hotspot and once they saw it clearly it was not too concerning, what was was something from her vag area. They did give her an antibiotic shot. I don't remember who the vet was before but her and a couple other people ganged up on me about the raw. The next vet was great!