George asked in PetsRodents · 1 month ago

Should I put these animals together?

I got a cage big enough to put 3 rats, they are good pets but bed time they need to be in cage. Please don't bully me on having rats as pets they are very friendly. The thing is i got a new puppy. I only have one cage and it would be big enough to have the rats and the puppy in it. Should I have them all stay in the same cage? The puppy likes the rats.

• Ocimom

NO you can't put rats and a puppy in the same cage.  Sooner or later the rats or the dog will end up hurt or dead.

DEFINITELY NOT!!!! puppies will see rodents as food! plus, the rat may give the dog an infection. they're like cheese and cookies. great seperately, but horrible together.

unless you want to wake up to 3 dead rats and an infected dog wound, DO NOT MIX!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but I feel like the obvious answer is no. Like, a hard no.

And dogs DO NOT belong in cages.

• Nathan

Rats are awesome pets, as are puppies, but they should never meet. The risk of the dog or rat hurting the other is extremely high because they can't communicate, and in the wild dogs would kill rats. It is extremely stressful for them too.

Your dog should not be put in a cage - rats must have 2 cubic feet of space each, if it's suitable for 3 then it must be 6 cubic feet as a minimum (if not please look into a larger one). That is not large enough for a dog even temporarily. On top of that, if it is ONLY big enough for 3 rats, then it is not big enough for a dog. You can not keep a dog in a rat cage that is properly set up, meaning enrichment too to bottom, because it won't be able to move.

Hi, well, alright, first off, as much as the puppy likes the rats, you can't be sure they like them back. My dog, Millie, loves my rats too (Freddie and Mercury), but that is because she is a working hunting cocker spaniel! Rats will prefer to have their own cage, and its for the better; a puppy is so, so much bigger than some rats, no matter how big they are, and could easily kill one, or worse, the rats attack the puppy and outnumber him and you are asleep not knowing it's happening. 

Also, rats are nocturnal, a puppy is not. Even if they did get along, the puppy wouldn't sleep because of the rats running all over him. 

Hope this helped!

No, and puppies DO NOT BELONG IN CAGES.

You really know how to stress out your rats don't you.

Please do not listen to Ted! Dogs are naturally predisposed to hunt small animals, and the rats may hurt the puppy because they are scared. Do not leave them together in a small space ever, let alone unsupervised. Please separate them, does the puppy have to be in the cage? 

I wouldn't. Just for the safety of both animals, since animals can be extremely unpredictable, and instinctively dogs hunt small rodents, such as rats. Your rats may also have a flight or fight response, and can attack your puppy, to defend themselves. It may seem like the puppy "likes" the rats, but it can all change in an instant. Also, one cage probably wouldn't be enough space for three rats and a puppy. 

• Josh1 month agoReport

The cage definitely isn't suitable for a dog and three rats, since its vertically shaped, and animals like dogs need enough space horizontally and vertically to be comfortable. 

if the puppy and the rats are friends i dont see any problem just keep a careful eye on them!

god bless

-ted

• Chloe1 month agoReport

Woah woah WOAH, no, this isn't correct, PLEASE don't listen to this! Just cause he's put 'god bless' at the end doesnt mean he's right about this. You'll be asleep when they're together, you can't watch them!