Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 2 months ago

When you have a reptile do you have to gradually upgrade their cage size or can you go straight to the biggest size they'll ever need?

From what I gather, it's best to upgrade them relatively gradually, in 2-3 steps at least, because if you put them in too large an enclosure they can be hard to keep track of and care for, or escape through cracks in a large tank they otherwise would be too big for

It is better to keep small reptiles in small cages than big ones. The small cages are easier to clean and they require less bedding and less shelf space. It is also easier to find a small reptile in a small cage when it comes time to remove them to clean the cage.  I keep baby snakes and baby treefrogs in a gallon glass jar or a small shoe box and then as they grow I would put them in a larger plastic box or 10 or 20 gallon aquarium.

To save money, you can buy dividers and remove as the animal grows. Baby reptiles get stressed when their environment is too big to begin with. Many people will buy 60 gallons, expecting a normal 5 foot corn snake, but will place dividers in to cut it to a 20, then 30, and up to the full tank size when their animals reach adulthood. 

If I get a baby I start out with a small cage and upgrade. No reason a foot long snake needs to be in a 40+ gallon tank. 

That would depend on the reptile some animals would be stressed out in a large cage 

• Anonymous2 months agoReport

Thank you! I'll research that according to the animal