Do ADT people/representatives come knocking on people’s doors?

I was home alone and this man knocks on my door at 4:35, I look out the window and he’s wearing regular clothes but has an ADT binder.. we recently moved in but don’t have a security system yet. He left an ADT flyer at my door that has his name (can’t even read it) and his number. After he left i watched him through the window go back to his car and not to any other houses, he was there for a little bit but I didn’t get the flyer until his car was gone. I’m kinda a paranoid person when it comes to this stuff (for good reasons) so am I just freaking out or was this a scam person or an actual ADT representative?

Did you move recently?  They show up when people move (buy a new house) because the property records are public.  

Honestly, it was probably just a salesperson, perhaps a third party and not directly employed by ADT.  Scammers dont leave fliers...they just leave. 

Does your town allow solicitation?  Is a permit required?  If so, call the police and check on this guy if you are super paranoid. 

No they do not. There are a lot of people looking to defraud others by doing things like that. I had a guy with an ADT lanyard ID on him, his shirt said Honeywell -- ADT and Honeywell are two completely different home security companies. He tried to get into the house by force and stopped when he saw I lived with a husband who came up behind me at the door. We made a police call on him immediately but he took off too fast to catch.

• Casey Y

Honeywell makes the ADT equipment...they dont make it themselves...

Yes. Except they're not ADT employees; they work for a separate company that does the marketing and maybe the installations, while ADT does the monitoring. It's potentially somewhat scammy in that the sales pitch may be dishonest or the price might be higher than what you could get directly from ADT, but they really are promoting ADT systems.

Sometimes they knock on doors attempting to recruit customers. It is entirely possible you were the LAST house on his route.

It is possible the person was a criminal looking for likely targets. If that were the case,, it is likely they would knock on other doors as well.

You could try getting a phone # from the ADT website and calling to see if they had anyone in the area at the time.

How would I know if YOU saw him and YOU don't know.

Regular clothes?  Do you think ADT salesmen wear uniforms?

Ask an adult to check out the number.  It's not that complicated.