promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 5 months ago

If I was born abroad, (born in Germany but have us citizen parent) do I have citizenship in both countries? ?

If so, if I get married will my spouse have citizenship in Germany as well? I can’t find much online and my parents are deceased so I don’t know much about this stuff. Any info helps. Thank you 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Germany only recognizes citizenship through jus sanguinis - citizenship by blood - not by birth within the country. One of your parents had to be a German citizen at the time of your birth, and register your birth to German citizen. Depending on when you were born, it was your father, not mother, who had to hold German citizenship as the law was changed at a relatively late date. However, Germany does not typically allow dual-nationality, and a child born to citizens of 2 different countries with citizenship claim to each must choose one or the other by their 21st birthday. Again, laws change, so it could depend when you turned 21 whether you might have been able to retain dual-nationality. Complicated enough for you?

Chances are you had no claim to German citizenship to begin with. BTW, if you were born to US military personnel stationed in Germany, there was NO way you could ever claim German citizenship, under terms of the treaties for the base. Your wife gets nothing, either. You would have to be German citizen residing in Germany & arrange her immigration to possibly get her residency there.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 months ago

Unfortunately, no, you don't get German citizenship just by having been born there.

Germany is not among the countries that offer birthright citizenship (aka whoever is born there gets the citizenship, no matter where their parents are from).

• 5 months ago

NO... you are a american citizen as the hosp where you were born did what is called " A BIRTH ABROAD OF AN AMERICAN CITIZEN" IT was filed with the German Gov. and ALSO at the embassy in Germany. 

TO be considered as a GERMAN your parent had to have been at least one of them a GERMAN CITIZEN and registered you as a GERMAN CITIZEN when you were born.

Check your Birth cert. and see exactly where you were born there and you can contact them and the EMBASSY to ask them about it. 

• 5 months ago

Nope.

Most countries don't have birthright citizenship, including Germany - so just being born there doesn't make you a citizen.

In addition; even if you were a German citizen (which you aren't), marriage NEVER confers citizenship on a spouse; this has to be applied for only after living in that country legally for several years.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No. Being born in Germany does not make you German. Marrying a German does not make you German either. You are only German if at least one of your parents was German (had German citizenship when you were born.)

• 5 months ago

Germany doesn't have birthright citizenship. In fact, very, very few countries still do, primarily Canada, the United States, and Mexico. Thus, even though you were born in Germany, you were "only' born with the citizenship of your father and your mother. If one of your parents was a German citizen, and you have proof, then you are a German citizen as well. If not, you are not a German citizen.

• 5 months ago

Most countries do not consider you a citizen just by being born there.  And, no country recognizes a change in citizenship just by getting married.

• 5 months ago

Germany does not recognize citizenship by place of birth, so you are not a German citizen at all and never were.

• 5 months ago

If you are born abroad to two US citizen parents then you will be a US citizen, even if your parents have not met the standard USA residency requirement.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/interna...

Germany no longer offers "birthright" citizenship.  There have been requirements since 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_l...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.