Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAgriculture · 2 months ago

Is this true, that Calif. buys oil wastewater for use in crops? I'm recently discovering sewage sludge is legally used in crops in the U.S.?

For years I assumed it was illegal bc I had heard it somewhre, that it's only legal in some countries such as China. Turns out the U.S. is putting human **** (and the other wastes in it) all over the place, on food, playgrounds, yards... So they're also putting wastewater fron oil companies in food??

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/toxic-oil...

• oikoσ

Wastewater from a treatment plant can come out cleaner than the tap water in many places. I would not recommend using the effluent from a primary-treatment plant, even if you can still find one. Most plants use secondary treatment, removing the organic matter but leaving the nutrients (P & N) in the water. The best plants add tertiary treatment, which removes the nutrients, often putting out water than is cleaner than that of the receiving stream. 

Sewage sludge can be used as a soil amendment on crops used for animal food, not human food..

yes friend sewage is used all over the place in the United States what did you think fertilizer was made out of anyway fertilizer is made from piss and poop that get crystallized and in agricultural uses you can take chicken poop horse poop cow poop people poop any kind of poop you want to and put it on the crops. There is normally a bacterial additive put into the mess that kills any harmful bacteria. After that happens it goes on the food.

I'm not an expert on the california water system, but the article you reference doesn't have much information, just a lot of conjecture and opinion. It doesn't establish that the water used is contaminated. It's purpose seems more to stoke fear and attract attention for Food and Water Watch, than to actually convey real information. 

As far as sewage sludge goes, yes, the term used in the industry is "biosolids", and it is commonly composted or high-temperature processed and used as fertilizer or soil amendments in agriculture and landscapes. 

All biosolids used have to be thoroughly tested for contaminants before their use is permitted. The biggest concern is generally what are referred to as "heavy metals". They are classified as Type I, II, or III. Only type I, that with the lowest levels is used in agriculture. Types II and III, which contain above-threshold levels of contaminants, are only used in limited applications, such as landfill reclamation, etc. The use of biosolids is not permitted in certified organic production. Biosolids are used around the world in agriculture and landscapes. 

Please advise us which farms California is cultivating and farming. I am sure that California is putting things on crops so that they can stunt the growth of the crops, right?