Was this an appropriate medical exam?

I told my doctor I was having these headaches and he thought I had some neck problems. Without asking he moved my (long) hair off my back (onto my shoulder) and used his fingertips to massage my upper back (which was bare skin because my top had a low back).

He didn t say anything or explain what he was doing and did this for maybe 10-20 seconds in silence. (It s hard to judge the amount of time but it felt like a long time to me.)

Then he moved his fingers to my neck and asked if there were sore spots.

Is this a legitimate exam?

Does this sound like a normal medical exam or is that creepy behavior?

• Lili
    Favorite Answer

This strikes me as inappropriate.  While he didn't touch any sexual areas, it is not a doctor's province to engage in massage of any kind. Checking for sore spots is one thing -- and entirely acceptable -- but massage is something else.  Normally, you'd check for sore spots and then suggest, first, imaging tests to rule out a physical/medical issue, and second, massage or physical therapy, to be performed by an MT or PT professional, to whom you'd refer the patient.

Doctors, by the way are supposed to inform patients of what they are doing every step of the way. He should have said, at the outset, "Let me palpate the area and let me know where it hurts," rather than silently begin massaging you.

This was not sexual assault or sexual abuse; it was simply unprofessional. I'd be somewhat wary of returning to him.

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

The doctor wasn't massaging her. - that's just what the OP 'calls' it.  He was palpating her neck and shoulders with his fingers. There's a big difference between a medical palpation and a massage. The OP is so silly that she can't tell the difference between a massage and a palpation. 

100% appropriate exam. They were feeling for lymphadenopathy.

• Edna

Yes, it was an appropriate medical exam. The doctor was palpating your neck and your upper back to see if that caused you any discomfort  or pain that might be the cause of  your headaches. There was nothing "creepy" about it. If the nurse (whom I KNOW was present in the room while he was examining you) had thought there was anything "creepy" about it, she would have put a stop to it. 

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

Well then, it was such a 'nothing' examination that the doctor didn't even feel the need to have a nurse present.  You were silly if it bothered you and you didn't ask the doctor what he was doing and why he was doing it. 

• Steven

We cannot judge doc is wrong or not, sometime docs behaviour is so rude and As per your point of view, doc have get permission to treated you, because without permission this is illegal. 

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

It is NOT illegal &  the doctor didn't have to ask for 'permission'  to conduct that sort of non-intrusive exam. It's an approved medical technique to an area for soreness. . 

• Roddy

That is a perfectly normal thing for a doctor to do given your complaint of headaches. He didn't touch you in any 'sensitive' area, so there's nothing to be concerned about.

Maybe he should have talked a bit more about what and why he was doing things, but most folk would have perfectly understood.

Yeah, this is normal. He should've worn gloves and told you what he was doing but this is standard.

If a patient has neck pain then you're supposed to feel for deformities or if there are any spots that are particularly sore. You're supposed to press on it to see if the pain gets worse or better

doc thinks it is cervical spondylosis

he should have ordered a x ray of the neck

no x ray means creepy behavior

• Edna

The doctor would have wanted to find out if palpation of the neck and shoulders caused pain, before he even suspected cervical spondylosis or ordered an X-ray of the neck. 

Sounds kinda creepy TBH...... 🤔 

• Edna

Nothing creepy about it at all.