Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsGolf · 6 months ago

How Much Legal Trouble Would I Get if I Explored an Abandoned Golf Course?

It's a California golf course that has been completely abandoned for over 4 years but is available to lease. I would not be damaging anything and I would not enter the main building. 

• Favorite Answer

The worst that could happen would be a citation for trespassing; most likely they would just ask you to leave. As long as you're not trying to actually play or damage anything (or vandalise anything) that's about the worst. Just be careful of rodents/vermin/animals.

• Bob

You would either be asked/told to leave and be escorted off the property or you could get cited for trespassing.

i would ask permission first so you dont get in trouble for doing that

• Kenny

California laws are very hard on poor people messing around in rich peoples things .

• D.E.B.S.

Um....no.  Rental laws are the most blaring flaw in your statement.

Walking around outside on property, you'd probably just be asked to leave.  Your best bet is to carry a camera, because that shows you weren't up to any vandalism or graffiti or anything.

If you're throwing rocks at windows or breaking branches on trees or something, you might get a slap on the wrist.

Years ago I had a roommate who had a degree in botany.  After big rains he'd wander around fields looking for mushrooms.  We climbed over a low wooden fence (no No Trespassing signs) and my buddy was on the ground with his camera, with his butt up in the air, when I turned around and there was a guy on horseback, with a shotgun in one of those saddle holsters like you see in cowboy movies.  He said "Ah'm sorra but this is prahvit propady.   Y'allr gonna hafta to leave."  He was actually very nice about it.  Big old horse!  This was about 15 miles south of San Francisco so I wondered if I'd wandered into the Twilight Zone.

My roommate said that happened to him all the time.  He was sure it was the camera.  Who's afraid of someone taking pictures of mushrooms?  But I wondered why they hadn't put up a few signs saying Prahvit Propady.

Probably trespassing at the worst. You’ll probably get a warning.