Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsPDAs & Handhelds · 3 months ago

Edit HDR Video on MacBook Pro?

I want to edit 4K HDR videos in Final Cut Pro on my MacBook Pro. 

15" Late 2018. 1TB of storage. 32 GB memory. Radeon Pro Vega 20 graphics. 6-core Intel Core i9 processor.

Is this possible if I connect my Mac to an HDR display? I tried connecting it using a 4K HDMI to USBC cable to my 4K HDR LG TV to use as a monitor. I thought the option for HDR in Final Cut Pro might show but it didn't. 

Would I need an actual HDR monitor like the Pro Display XDR? Or is it my just my computer? Everything (except storage) was maxed out when I purchased it from Apple in December of 2018.

Any help or advice is appreciated! 

Favorite Answer

You should be able to edit files regardless of the type of display connected? 

You just will not be able to see the result in full resolution until the result is played on a system that supports HDR.

You do not need an external display in order to edit 4k videos. Your Macbook pro' display is sufficient to do it. Also, I have noticed that newer 2018 15 inches Macbook Pro that I am using right now gets heated a lot