Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesChrysler · 2 months ago

Are Chrysler 300’s reliable ?

I’m thinking of getting one for my son as his first car. I was eyeing a 2007 Chrysler 300 touring on offer up that I might be interested in buying him

Favorite Answer

They may *look* solid and impressive but they had a terrible reputation for poor build quality, poor-quality interiors, and far below average reliability pretty much all the way through to the end of production, although the 2018 models finally scraped in with a JD  Power prediction of slightly above average reliability. Which then proved to be optimistic as they have been slightly below average. So they went from being awful to the pinnacle where they were merely below average... 

If you want reliable then far Eastern brand names are still the best bet, and many sold in the USA are built by Americans in American factories using many domestically-sourced components. You can’t say that about the 300C as they were all built in Canada and Austria. Avoid Nissan and Mitsubishi though: they have both taken a massive nose-dive since Renault effectively took control and were both well on the slide long before that.

The 300C you’ve seen on offer is simply a seller recognising that the price must drop because buyer’s generally now know that the 300C is a rough dog of a car which bites the wallets of those who own them.

I have a 2009 touring, been a good car for me but they do have their common issues like ALL cars. The 3.5L has a issue with a tick caused by plastic pieces breaking off the rockershafts. super annoying. Transmission will either be a 42RLE or NAG1. good transmissions as long as you keep them serviced about every 60K. An issue I have with mine right now other than the tick is a leaking exhaust valve. first noticed after a seafoam treatment. Found a matching symptom TSB states #5 misfire due to carbon build-up causing pitting around the exhaust valve seat. Will be replacing a cylinder head soon along with both rockershafts. it does run off of a timing belt so every 90K replace timing belt and components

Other than that been a good car, had some minors things such as a starter going out, steering angle sensor, and a wheel speed sensor. I am a Chrysler tech so I do my own work and services and get parts at a discounted price.

• Bort

As a father I would support this idea. I am a Dodge fan and love anything Mopar but I am also realistic and that is why I support it. 300s are really nice looking cars! Inside and out. But they are honestly not the most reliable. They are not unreliable but they have their querks and problems which is why I think they would be a really good first car for someone.

1. They get a really nice car.

2. It will teach them several aspects of life and management.

3. They'll have a lot of fun with it.

4. If you make them responsible for anything that goes wrong with it...#2. Which is our responsibility as parents to do: encourage them to learn and teach them some 'hard' life lessons without much input and effort from us as parents.

Go to the reference section of your local library and look at the Consumers Reports Buyers Guide (any year close to 2007).

To save you the trip- for some reason/s that car made the least desirable car spot for every year it was in production!

It is good for one thing- keeping the driver/owner off the streets because it broke down again.

Plan on replacing a lot of front suspension parts.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Scott

Nobody here can tell you if a 13 year old used car is going to be reliable. All cars are reliable when new, but 13 years later, with an unknown amount of miles in unknown condition, it's a crap shoot.

NO to used Chryslers.

• Ron

If you like paying for repairs all the time then that's a great deal

i dont see why it wouldnt be