Grace asked in PetsRodents · 2 months ago

I played with my hamster when I first got him?

I got a hamster yesterday and my baby brothers wanted to play with him. After less then an hour of having him we put him in the hamster ball and watched him. We also picked him up a few times after that. I'm worried I've ruined my chance to bond with him and he will always be scared of us now. Help?

• Favorite Answer

Generally you should wait a couple days for your hamster to settle it as they can get stressed being in a new environment. But playing with them immediately doesnt mean they will never bond with you. You should probably just wait to interact with him again so he can settle in to his new home and then continue training. No worries. 

Well, they have a short memory to begin with and are forgiving. Without exception they fake to fall of tables by accident, only to be able to reach the floor. This is evidence of the robust personality they have. In case you didn't know they will be very destructive on carpet in the corners and destroy furniture when climbing in. - Chances are you bought a lemming since people like the fur and round shape of these, much smaller, rodents. Because lemmings (being called Russian dwarf hamster, desert hamster or Roborovski) remain to be wild animals, the trade calls them Hamster. This would mean your hamster will turn itself against you while it is ageing and bite violently right trough your finger without any warning, leaving terrible scars. Because of the danger your parents better bring it back to the store, with or without help from the police or other authorities because it is not a hamster and not even member of the same rodent species. - When a Syrian hamster or family of it, then showing yourself the first couple of days will let the animal forget its instinct for the rest of its life and it will then not be able to make a sleeping place and will tred it by foot. It will store food where it sleeps and urinate over it. Next their eyes will be affected by the urine and the second lens that they have before the eyes in the light, will be grey like opacity with cataract. So having a hamster as a pet will be more worth with separating it behind a newspaper for about a week. In this period you deliver variation of food and building material like bits of paper tissue and fabric silently and secretly. Keep your hand in a sock when you want to be sure. It will be necessary though, that you pot train only ones by taking this mishap apart and pushing the hamster its nose to it. Then show it the right corner, put it in with its tail and it will pick up the right habit. This is also where the animal gets its minimal required movement with: Going to the corners where to drink, where to eat and where to urinate. Finally you train the hamster waking up pleasantly by attracting its attention and also be interested in your hand because, when they learn it, they will endlessly try to climb up the hand and wrist and love to walk from hand to hand when taken out. They like to be put down and try again from their cage even more but must learn to do so. I often found my hamster ready to play and waiting in the morning when I shaved and used them as a brush for my chin afterwards. Grown up males have a pheromone in their neck also, that has a very pleasant smell to it. Female have funny farts, so it seems. These smells enable them to mate in the short moments where they can meet and make out, without fighting. The animal must learn to take the first step for approach though and just taming it in the first day will be an obstacle for the rest of its life. When having them in your hands the important thing to know is that they touch with their teeth when they need to urinate and sometimes stare in panic and confusion. The touch of their teeth will be ever so slight the next time. You serve them a lot by bringing them back to the appropriate place fast. Mostly the hamster will clean itselve and be done with taken out after perhaps a small ceremony. They can get obsessed by attempts to reach the ground. Letting them free will be destructive. They like furniture with short hairs. Play in their den is nice with turning plates in stead of balls or mills. They break toes on spokes. The lemmings will be drunk from most food because those have a yeasting stomach and throw themselves backwards from the highest point they can find. Basically you must offer them only grain with little of variation but without sugar and not even much sunflower seeds. I hope this helped.

Firstly, I have a feeling you may have never had a hamster before, or got a little bit over excited, I completely understand, we all do! But he needs time to settle in and explore his new home (Assuming you are meeting standard or going beyond standard floor space for a cage) This can take days, mind you, and as annoying as it is, this really helps the hamster. I have a feeling you knew this. 

As sad as it kinda is, Hamsters aren't the smartest in the shed, but they will quickly get over what happened and begin to bond with you. When I got my hamster, and then later my rats, I let them run around in one room (Not at the same time though!) and sat there. With my Syrian I made it a smaller space, allowing him to have to get close to me to move around. It let him smell me and let me feed him treats and he understood that my smell = food. 

Also, don't use hamster wheels. Let him into a room instead to run around and provide water when he's there. Don't leave him alone and for too long either, since hamsters eat every two hours, so he'll start getting hungry! 

• Nathan

Hamster balls are dangerous! The ventilation slits can harm their feet, and they are unable to stop and have something to eat or drink which causes stress. They can also bump into things which pecan cause serious damage.

Please make sure you are not using a toxic bedding, like pine; wool or woodshavings , and that you aren't using a pet shop cage. Most cages sold are not appropriate (stores like petsmart and pets at home claim they tell their customers they're only suitable until they're adults, 12 weeks old, but they don't). The cage MUST be 80x50cm or larger of unbroken  floor space, which means that adding levels of combining two cages does not make it okay. 

Syrian and Chinese hamsters need solid 11" /28cm wheels whilst other species need 8" /21cm wheels. They also require a minimum of 8" of bedding so they can burrow , so thanks are better. I suggest watching "Victoria Raechel" or "ErinsAnimals" on youtube

• Nathan

Also, hamsters are not a child's pet. The noise from your brothers would scare them, and as they are so young they will not understand how to correctly handle them which may hurt it. A hamster is a huge responsibility, though often neglected, that a young child can not care for

i dont think you'll ruin your chances to bond with him

How old are these "baby brothers" and how did they treat this poor hamster? Toddlers/babies should NEVER be allowed to handle pets like this. Those hamster balls are horrible. Put him instead in a pet safe bathroom or fully looked over bedroom so he can run around.

• Grace2 months agoReport

2 years old and 4 years old

You appear to KNOW the hamster isn't a toy.  It's a living, breathing animal.

I'd worry less about YOUR chance to bond and MORE about why you aren't my careful with a living breathing creature.

• Grace2 months agoReport

They did it while I was at school, I had a talk with my mom and she says its fine but I'm still worried

Good for you. Is there a question?

• Nathan

shop because they're cruelty need in mills before being shipped there, meaning they normally do not trust humans