Where to buy wool for needle felting?

When I first got into needle felting a started off with a multi-color set off of amazon that came with a multitude of small color bunches. However, ordering it a 2nd time, the colors weren't all the same, so I don't want to get stuck mid-project without the correct color. So later for another project I bought off of paradise fibers (and I have a ton left over). But is there anywhere I can buy small bunches of wool (since most of the time they are small projects that need multiple colors, versus a large project with the same color).

A place I can buy small amounts, but be guaranteed the same color at a later purchase?

Favorite Answer

Amazon is a good starting point, since they have several choices, including selections with small amounts of wool. However, Amazon does not manufacture the wool--they sell it for other companies. That's why the wool colors aren't consistent--they came from different companies.

To assure consistency, look just below the ALL CAPS description of the product you like on Amazon, and you will see in blue print "by" or "made by". If you click on this link it will take you to the company's home page. If you always use the same company, you should have matching colors, while still using Amazon.

You can NEVER be guaranteed the same color of dyed wool at a later purchase. You always need to buy enough of one dye lot to finish your project, because dye lots can not be guaranteed to match.

If you don't have enough of one matching color to finish your piece, consider going for an ombre effect. Blend your colors.

You can buy wool roving fiber at Hobby Lobby, if you just need small amounts.

• Eva

Find a local yarn shop. A small, independent shop, not one of the big craft chains. Scout out local farmers markets for alpaca or sheep producers.

you could try amazon, they sell everything