Austin asked in SportsRunning · 2 months ago

How can I increase my mile and half time ?

Ok so the problem I have is I'm 4'11 or 5'0, my legs are short and when I'm running at a pretty fast speed, whoever I'm running with is speed walking. I need my mile and half time to be 11:57 minutes to pass my PT test at basic training, I'm about to ship out soon. I'm in pretty good shape, I can run 2 miles at near full sprint the entire time but the issue is my speed is slow. My mile and half time is 17:25 right now and that's with me running dead full sprint the entire 1.5mi without stopping. I'm worried that it is just physically impossible due to my height to get faster. I've tried interval running and everything. 

• .
    Favorite Answer

Your height doesn't dictate your speed. Your leg length will limit your stride, but that doesn't mean you can't have a fast turnover. Some very short people (including children) can run VERY fast.

Do some research on how to improve your running speed (or how to run faster).  Here is an article that has some general tips https://greatist.com/fitness/25-ways-run-faster-no...

Here's another article that discusses running speed with relation to height https://aaptiv.com/magazine/height-advantage-runni...

• Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Of course your leg length dictates your speed. Guys who win gold aren't 5'4" sprinters. They all have pretty long legs.

by running 3 miles, push your total distance to where you are knocking it out pretty easy then do your 1 1/2 mile for time test 

• Adam D

There is no strong correlation between height and middle distance running capabilities.

You've never gone at a dead sprint for more than 200 meters.  The human body is only physically capable of sprinting at full effort for a few hundred meters, elite 400m runners aren't even sprinting full speed the entire race.

You need to work within a structured training program to improve.  Google for a program designed to help high school runners training for the a 1 mile or 2 mile race, those will target the fitness you need.  Do the workouts as they are written - if the program says it is an easy day, it's an easy day, if it says a particular effort level, do what it says.

maybe you should practice with someone

• KaleyK

Plenty of short people can run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes or less.  Yes, length of lever (leg) is part of the calculus, but you can do it.  Your competitive distance is 2.5 times your practice distance.  So you want to practice about 1,056 (1,000  or 1,100 is fine) yards so you can compete at 2,640 yards (1.5 miles). You need to run that distance every day, as hard as possible, and two or three times a day if you can.  Stay positive!

• Austin2 months agoReport

Thank you!