What is the difference between hang gliding and para gliding?

Favorite Answer

With a hang glider you are flying a ridge wing. A hang glider probably has a better glide ratio than a para glider.

A para glider is like a parachute. It has billows in it that inflate by air blowing in which then gives the "chute" a wing shape so it can glide. However, this can be dangerous if the air stops flowing in the billows like what happens in certain turbulence, like what are called rotors. Rotors typically occur when the wind blows around an object, like a tree or building or other structure causing the air to twirl about like a soft mini tornado. Then the wing can suddenly collapse and send the pilot crashing to the ground. As far as I'm concerned, they are to risky to fly. I'll take a ridged wing hang glider any day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjPmpocQurE

Youtube thumbnail

Hang gliding uses a hang glider, a think like a big kite.  Para gliding uses a paraglider, which is more like a big parachute (the oblong kind).

• Aiden

Hang gliding, you're suspended in the air with nothing below you and you're being held by a harness attached to a giant kite.

Paragliding, you're sitting on a chair attached to a parachute.

Quite honestly there isn't much difference between the two. Only real difference between the two is that they both have different ways of controlling their craft to keep themselves propelled in the air for longer durations of time. 

I prefer hang gliding simply because I like lying face down and get to watch the ground below me. Something more satisfying about it.

• JimZ

One you are hanging from a hang glider and the other you are hanging from a para glider.  A paraglider is like a long parachute.   A hang glider is like one of those three prong kites that connect at the front.