Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsWrestling · 2 months ago

What is the percentage of adult wcw/wwf spectators in the 70s/80s who knew that pro wrestling is scripted ?

Favorite Answer

The 70's is hard to gauge to be honest.  I think from the 50's to the late 70's most people were fully bought into wrestling being real.  I think by the 80's it became clearer, even before the McMahon steroid trials.  I'd say pre-trial, maybe 30% would acknowledge it was fake but I'd wager that the concept of it being fake weighed heavy on the cultural zeitgeist.  I mean, people talk about nWo being the first 'cool heel' stable, but the Four Horsemen had college students showing up dressed in three piece suits and shades long before Hulkamania left Minnesota.  Still, there were incidents of fans getting violent or starting riots in the 80's, so some fans held onto the belief of wrestling Santa Claus long after McMahon had been exposed, some well into the early 90's.  Heck, I run with wrestlers sometimes and in the real deep rural areas they still get chased out of venues.

i HAVE KNOWN SINCE I WAS 5 AND I AM 59 NOW BUT THEN I GREW UP WITH ALOT OF THE 2ND GENERATION WRESTLERS

In the 70s-79 I would say 25%.

Adults?  Pretty much all of them.