What are Georgia laws on breaks during work? ?

I recently worked a 12 hour shift at the seafood restaurant I work at ( 11am to 11pm) . During that time I was given two half hour breaks, one at 2pm and one at 7pm. I have heard this is a pretty standard rule across the U.S. when it comes to breaks in food service. I was wondering if anyone knew the rules or laws in any more detail , as I am having difficulty locating the information online. I’m just curious if anywhere has different policies. 

Favorite Answer

Georgia has no such laws:  "Neither the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) nor Georgia law require breaks or meal periods be given to workers. However, many employers do provide breaks and meal periods. Breaks of short duration (from 5 to 20 minutes) are common."

• xyzzy

From the Georgia Department of Labor website. "Neither the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) nor Georgia law require breaks or meal periods be given to workers. However, many employers do provide breaks and meal periods. Breaks of short duration (from 5 to 20 minutes) are common. The FLSA requires workers be paid for short break periods; however an employer does not have to compensate for meal periods of thirty minutes or more, as long as the workers are free to use the meal period time as they wish and are not required to perform work during that time."

Neither the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) nor Georgia law require breaks or meal periods be given to workers.

It took LESS than 1 minute to locate THE official answer by typing Georgia labor law lunch breaks into a search engine.

GA law does not require they give you any mandated meal breaks. So any breaks they give you are above and beyond what is required.