yeet asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

How to get rid of aquarium snails?

I have a 20g aquarium. It’s infested with snails. So many. There aren’t any fish,they all died. I want to get rid of the snails. Can I pour bleach in or something? I don’t care about saving anything, I just want the snails gone. Don’t go all “weak solution to save fish” because I don’t care. What’s the strongest thing that won’t disintegrate the whole tank and how do I utilize it to kill those evil little things

• Ocimom
    Favorite Answer

Do not bleach the tank - you won't be able to get it all out and any future fish will end up dead from the residue bleach.

Empty the tank.  Scrap the snails off the sides.  Dump any gravel (as they may contain snail eggs).  Use new gravel and boil the gravel for about 10 mins to kill any eggs that may be in the gravel.  Reset up the tank and let the water be conditioned.  Don't use live plants (likely where all your snails came from) - use plastic or silk only.

Then in a month, add new fish and you should be fine.

• Raven

Buy a couple of Assassin Snails. They will kill every pest snail.

Set up a pea puffer tank with like 5 Puffers.... Tank will be clean in no time.

• patty

take the snails to the local aquarium. they can sell them. 

If there are no fish you could empty the tank, scrape the walls with a plastic credit card thing.  Plop a sieve full of the gravel into boiling water.

You do not want to soak you tank with bleach for more then 15 minutes for any reason.  Even at a proper 1 parts bleach to 10 parts water, it will begin to break down the silicone.  

The easy way to get rid of the snails without using any chemicals turn the aquarium heater on get the temperature of the water up to 115 degrees and everything in the tank will die

• Mj

Just scoop them out.

• Kieth

I had a betta that ate snails, you could try that.

• Jack2 months agoReport

They have fish that eat snails look them up online. But that probably won't solve the problem you can find alot of these answers online