? asked in TravelItalyOther - Italy · 2 months ago

Those who know of French or Italian cooking, if a wine sauce loses the alcohol during heating, does it become a grape sauce?

Can you say first if you are a Yank as I am asking this in Europe

During the process of cooking, the alcohol evaporates. And no, it doesn't become like a ' grape ' sauce ( no sugared, etc.. )... 

In France we often put wine in our cook... Usually white and red wines.

No, it's still fermented, and still wine sauce.

No, it doesn't become grape sauce.

it doesn't lose all the alcohol in cooking. check this out.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/packages/food-n...

• Anton

The vast majority of alcohol vaporizes.  Alcohol is tasteless.  The lost of the alcohol does NOT change flavor.

Cooking changes texture and flavor.  What was before is different, and cannot go back.

----

Updated 11 hours ago:  Can you say first if you are a Yank as I am asking this in Europe

Not a Yank, born just north of the Canadian Border.  Which doesn't matter since the facts is that alcohol is tasteless.

• Kenny

I see what you are saying but fermentation changes more than add alcohol . You could try grape juice instead of whine .  Maybe come up with something new . I suspect the alcohol may have made the raw ingredients less toxic back then like adding whine to water .