barry asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 months ago

Am I wrong to limit my child's use of mayonnaise!?

I don't think any 4 year old should regularly consume the product, however being a 31 year old male with my partner and our daughter, i work regular 9to5. We visited gf parents. My gf mother was shocked when my child asked me for a mayo sandwich and i said no, how about cheese or ham or something else. Future mother in law says what is your problem its only mayo, i said she had it twice already today that u gave her

. She should have some thing healthier. " you drink tea with sugar and drink coke so u shouldn't judge ' she said. I said whats wrong for wanting my child to be healthier than me? " dont be so smart" she replied angrily. I don't deny my daughter treats but only if she achieves something productive which is regular.  Am I wrong to think this?

Favorite Answer

Are you wrong for worrying about the health of your child?

Of course not.

If you felt like your child was consuming to much mayo, and you wanted to her protect your your child from further consumption, you are only doing your role as your parent.

This is just a fact of life like everything else, some people will agree with your methods and some people will completely disagree, now and moving forward,, as long as your intentions are good and you are looking out for the well-being of your child you are, stay firm in who you are.

That being said, HOW those disagreements are dealt with is the issue here. If your mother in law allowed to her have opinion as well? Absolutely. Because she has a different one does that make her bad? No. Ultimately if you step out of the situation you will see she is looking out for your child as well, from unnecessary restrictions, according to her opinion. Both of your guys intentions are good, but how you address your disagreements is the problem.

At the end of the day she is YOUR child, so the responsibility to take of your child is on you, so stick with your decision and when someone disagrees with you, tell them in a respectful, honest and kind manner about your decision and stick to it, regardless of what other's might think. Getting advice? Perfectly fine. Decision? Always yours.

I would also consult your partner's decision as well, since she share's that responsibility with you. Together you guys could have come up with a decision you guys mutually agree with.

Life is too short to ruin the relationship with your future mother in law over Mayo.

Agree to disagree, and still have love for one another.

I can only offer you advice. The decision is ultimately yours. I hope you make the right decision for yourself.

• Shalani3 months agoReport

You can choose be firm yet respectful. No exceptions. There are no HAVE TO’s, but CHOICES. We are not victims in this life, but people who can CHOOSE and CREATE our destiny

i dont think youre wrong to think that way

"Don't be so smart?". She argued with you because you didn't want your daughter to eat multiple mayonnaise sandwiches? I'd have picked up my child and left at that point. Not rudely. But definitely up and out of there. Grandma was out of line. However, if you leave your child with her during eating hours... bring healthy food for your child to eat!

Like many family arguments, I think the superficial level of this is mayonnaise, but on a deeper level is more about the judgement and relationship with your partner's mother. Parents and grandparents have a tendency to use children as a way to get at each other and it's not really about the kid at all. You and your partner need to be partners when it comes to extended families... I'm also a fan of using professional advice as leverage, so you and your partner can sit down with grandma and say: "Daughter's pediatrician is concerned about her cholesterol levels, she may not have sandwiches with only bread and mayo because it is harmful to her health."

• Bill

very wrong

you have double standards

she cannot have mayo more than once , you can't have coke more than once

she has to eat healthy , you have to eat healthy

you are the adult you have to set the right example and so far you are not doing that

• Andy C

Mayonnaise is disgusting and the appropriate way to prepare it is to throw it in the woods.

That being said, if the mayonnaise is made from eggs that are not sourced from corn-fed chickens, it is not bad for you.

Seeing as most mayonnaise is mass-produced and using the cheapest ingredients, corn-fed eggs are assured in jarred. mayonnaise, making more than 2 tbsp a day poisonous to the liver.

Whatever, it's better for you than ketchup, sweetened. mustards and pepper jellies.

Source(s): "Fat Chance..." by Dr. Robert Lustig M.D, M.S.A

I eat them all of the time it is the best  food in the world, you should try them dude!

Limit mayonnaise intake to 3 tablespoons per meal.