Will my college poor reputation prevent me from getting accepted to Med School? Can i still get into top medical schools? ?

I just immigrated into the USA.I have just been accepted into an average university (Eastern Michigan University). This was the only appropriate university (Affordable, nearby to my home, lower requirements of getting accepted etc) for an immigrant like me.  I'll be starting as a freshman from this winter semester. I'll be majoring in Neuroscience.

Favorite Answer

Eastern Michigan university does not have a "poor reputation." It's a perfectly fine state university. 

Where you went to college is -far- less important in medical school admission than your grades, MCAT scores, and experience. A 3.8 GPA from EMich beats a 3.7 from Harvard, all else being equal.

Medical schools understand that medical school is expensive, and applicants have to save money wherever possible. You won't be penalized for going to a state school for your undergraduate work.

While there's no such thing as a "pre-med" major, typically, you will need to take the medical school prerequisite classes (which vary a bit by medical school but typically include a year of biology with lab, a year of physics with lab, a year of general chemistry with lab, organic chemistry, biochemistry, English composition, and calculus or statistics). The MCAT also tests some additional subjects (like psychology) that are not necessarily prerequisites but you'd be wise to take to prepare for the MCAT.

You will need excellent grades in all of your subjects, including but not limited to the prerequisites: mostly As with an occasional B. So, while chemistry and biology best fit the prerequisite classes,  you might be better served with an "easier" major; just take what interests you the most, and take the prereqs as electives. 

You'll need top MCAT scores, and good shadowing and volunteer experience (this is where the pre-med club can help by finding you opportunities). 

I don’t think the university you went too will have the biggest outcome in going to medical school. I understand your circumstances in choosing your university and I chose an average level university too because it was close to home meaning I didn’t have to pay for residency and because I received scholarships from them. From what I have heard, as long as you have good grades and a good GPA, you should be fine. I heard that you need about a 3.5 or higher to have a strong chance of going to medical school.

As an immigrant, good grades, good MCAT scores, and a good record of appropriate extra-curricular activities will compensate for a second tier school.  Also, if you speak and write a language other than English, so much the better.  What I said applies ONLY to the brick and mortar EMU.  You might want to check with their ROTC office.  It is possible for an immigrant to join the US ROTC.  They will pay for your education AND give you money for living expenses.  However, you will have to serve in whatever branch of the armed forces you signed up for. good luck, and email me if you want more info.  I am a retired US government official.

• John

Many people fall for the false belief that unless they go to Harvard, Stanford, or one of the handful of other elite colleges, they will never find a job, get into a "good" graduate school,or advance to higher levels in their chosen career.  While graduating from an elite school is certainly helpful, its not a make or break factor.

There is nothing wrong with Eastern Michigan University. It's a perfectly respectable school. Just do really well in your courses and on your exams. 

You need to be accepted into a premed program. Your major is not enough to fulfill all prerequisite courses to qualify for admission to med schools. Also, med school admissions are extremely competitive. So expect to need minimum GPA of 3.75/3.85 to qualify to apply for admission, along with superior MCAT exam results.

Yes, the reputation, the competitiveness, the intellectual/academic rigor of your school matters in med school admissions decisions. Graduating from a less-competitive school is not a bar to admission to med school, but it doesn't help.

• MS

You can still get into medical school. However you might not get into a top tier school unless you really find a way to excel and stand out. You will need a high GPA and MCAT. But EMU is not a bad school, by any means.

Yes, it might hurt you. But with a very high GPA and a good score on the MCAT exam, you might still be able to get into an American medical school. They do accept students from a variety of different colleges and universities.