Henry asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Why do Californians vote blue when it clearly hurts them?

Favorite Answer

Short answer is that a vast majority of California voters don't agree with the question's premise of blue hurt. It's not complicated or political. See below an actual Californian's experience of pocketbook blue help.

Intending a serious non-partisan answer, it's not about blue or red. It's about what a voter is getting in income and benefits right now, that they know for a fact hurts or helps when they pay bills each month.

Rural reds in rust belt states who elected DJT, keep saying listen to us about why we voted red. An online commenter working (probably in Wisconsin), wrote: 'my income didn't increase under Obama [blue], but it did under DJT [red], so I'm voting DJT again'. That voter isn't interested in blue debates, fact or not, about the 8-year income-lowering effects of the Great Recession crash in 2007. Simple pocketbook voting logic; no blue will persuade him otherwise.

I don't live there, but I know a Californian threatened with homelessness due to accelerating rents.

(It's mostly caused by local property owners in all California cities who (by a state law) consistently vote NIMBY property values against new low-income housing, thus creating a rental housing shortage and price rises by simple supply and demand economics. Reds side with property owners, so they won't fix it. Renting California voters know this, and accordingly vote pocketbook blue.)

Yet she doesn't want to leave California because she has serious medical problems of aging. California Medi-Cal is paying for her low-income health care, and she isn't old enough for Medicare. She isn't interested in red debates, fact or not, about how California reds will make things clearly better by reducing her health care benefits to pay for tax cuts for property owners who don't pay rent. Simple pocketbook voting logic; no red will persuade her otherwise.

I am a Californian and I have only voted once and it was for red; although, I am a registered independent.

• James

Republicans are why people vote Democrat.

• Annonymous

Both are why people vote Independent

California has the biggest economy but is also the highest population. Along with that, they have the highest percentage of people being subsidized by the government. Those that are being subsidized don’t want to kill Santa Claus

You dont want to be on the losing side do you?

I know, if the libtards in California voted red they could be like Alabama & Mississippi

Because they are stupid, and flock to the media's propaganda of Democratic talking points, as well as empty promises at the cost of tax payers. Most now are not even American. That is the scary part. 

• ?2 months agoReport

PPIC, "Just the FACTS": "2014 [most recent data]... between 2.35 and 2.6 million... undocumented immigrants reside in California, ... 6% of the state’s population." "The undocumented population in California appears to be declining" (line chart with three sources) [They pay taxes, but can't vote.]

Obviously because republicans always say they hate Californians.

• ?2 months agoReport

Never thought of that point (nationally).

But to be fair the fewer elected California Republicans like their constituents.

Here's a map:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_locations_by_voter_registration

Republicans own a lot of land, but only 5,000 of them are 50% of Modoc Co (NE CA)

Why does your mom bend over for me when it clearly hurts her?

• Henry2 months agoReport

Are you roleplaying as my mom when getting penetrated by your dad to lessen the psychological pain?

maybe they dont think it will hurt them