Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationFishing · 2 months ago

Can I use my fish finder sonar to track Chinese subs?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, but, by the time it's displayed on the screen you would probably be rammed.

True story.  I had a 40' wooden sloop I would tramp from Portland Me to Nantucket and around Cape Cod as a younger man.  One of my best friends and crews was a highly decorated US Coast Guard rescue boat operator (Coxswain).  Middle of the night, no wind, no waves - engine broke - I am slowly limping her into Porstmouth NH barely moving.  Up ahead I see a revolving yellow light - looks like a tow truck in the middle of the channel to me. I yell down to my sleeping friend, "Hey, what does it mean when you see a tow truck light in the channel?"  OMG, he pops up from below like hot toast, "Its a surfaced submarine!!  It's a sub.  They wont get out of the way for you because the can't!"  I put the helm over hard but with no wind, no engine, they response is serious slow motion..... they passed so close I could make out the rank of the person on in the conn tower. Was one of the attack subs leaving the Kittery Maine Naval Yard.  I thought a sailboat was quiet.  Those things are smmoooottth in the water.  

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

No, you can't use a fish finder for that.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I have done it many times when living in Alaska.

• 2 months ago

"You could try. If you're okay with failing"

Source(s): My cousin
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Rick
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

usually you can just HEAR THEM .................

• Lee
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Yes, provided you can first attach it to the sub and have enough fishing line. I’d recommend tying it to your toe for fine sensitivity.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.