Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationFishing · 2 months ago

Can I use my fish finder sonar to track Chinese subs?

Favorite Answer

Yes, but, by the time it's displayed on the screen you would probably be rammed.

True story.  I had a 40' wooden sloop I would tramp from Portland Me to Nantucket and around Cape Cod as a younger man.  One of my best friends and crews was a highly decorated US Coast Guard rescue boat operator (Coxswain).  Middle of the night, no wind, no waves - engine broke - I am slowly limping her into Porstmouth NH barely moving.  Up ahead I see a revolving yellow light - looks like a tow truck in the middle of the channel to me. I yell down to my sleeping friend, "Hey, what does it mean when you see a tow truck light in the channel?"  OMG, he pops up from below like hot toast, "Its a surfaced submarine!!  It's a sub.  They wont get out of the way for you because the can't!"  I put the helm over hard but with no wind, no engine, they response is serious slow motion..... they passed so close I could make out the rank of the person on in the conn tower. Was one of the attack subs leaving the Kittery Maine Naval Yard.  I thought a sailboat was quiet.  Those things are smmoooottth in the water.  

No, you can't use a fish finder for that.

I have done it many times when living in Alaska.

"You could try. If you're okay with failing"

Source(s): My cousin
  • Rick

usually you can just HEAR THEM .................

• Lee

Yes, provided you can first attach it to the sub and have enough fishing line. I’d recommend tying it to your toe for fine sensitivity.