Why are chicken eggs always the same size?

Update:

Yes I remember now, they're not. I guess I am just not an eggspert.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • K8
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I have hens, have had hens for a long time.  Eggs vary in size, color, and shape depending on the chicken breed and the age of the hen.

My young hens just started laying and the eggs are tiny.  They will gradually increase in size as the hens mature.  The eggs from my older hens range from medium to large than extra large.  And the different types of hens also lay different colored eggs and different shapes.  I also used to have hens that layed various shares of green shelled eggs.  The eggs in the picture are from this week.  I have 19 hens currently.  Their ages range from 5 months to 7 years.  I have 7 different breeds

Attachment image
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

LOL, they're not! They are different sizes and shapes depending on nutrition for the hen, age of the hen, number of yolks, and other things. Commercially produced eggs are sorted to be the same size in each carton, but there are cartons of different sizes.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

They come in the standard cocckk size

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

They are not always the same size an never have been. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

There are three U.S. grades for eggs. In descending order, they are AA, A and B. Eggs are graded both by shell condition and interior quality and they are grouped by SIZE. Eggshells are inspected for cleanliness, texture, shape and lack of cracks.

• Jeremy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Who told you that they were?  They are graded into at least 3 sizes and you can buy boxes of assorted size one also which are usually much cheaper.

• 2 months ago

They aren't when they are laid. The various sizes are separated mechanically the batched according to size. They are categorized by size: Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large and Jumbo. Large is the most common.

• 2 months ago

But they are not they come in 3 different sides my friend. 

• carrie
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Hi H , how are you this Christmas eve. have you got your Christmas jumper on >

• 2 months ago

Well actually they are laid in different sizes cause it's about the size of the hen, larger hens produce larger eggs vice versa, but the eggs we buy in stores are the same sized eggs gathered together for better convenience. Plus farmers probably have their hens a certain size on average to produce the size of eggs in stores. But this is just from a rooster.

• 2 months ago

Matt don't you ever go to Tesco's or Sainsbury's. no, they are all different sizes, 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.