Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 2 months ago

Should I buy a record player or an acoustic guitar?

Ive been wanting a turntable for a while now, but id have to save up $100 more to get the one i want; Ive also been wanting to learn guitar tho (i already play clarinet for my school band), and i already have enough money to buy a decent one. should i save up or just go ahead and buy the guitar?

Guitar no doubt...!!!  You can lay around and listen to music until the cows come home...or you can make your own music. Your road to happiness and fulfillment is quite clear. 

It depends on what you want to do with them. As a clarinet player you could much more easily lean to play other reed instruments like saxophones and flutes rather than a guitar. And a record player is to listen to music which you can do in other ways unless you happen to have a collection of records and if you do not then you would have to invest in getting one for your player. So to make that decision you have to ask yourself why do I want either of these two devices and how will it benefit my musical goals in life.

I'd rather play guitar and make my own music rather than listen to someone else's music. Even when I was a rank beginner this was true for me and 57 years later this is still the case. There is no substitute for the satisfaction of making your own music.

By the way, a decent beginners' guitar costs around $200. Good luck!

Buying a DECENT turntable and speakers is a rabbit hole of research and expense. We lived that compulsion for decades, with over 1,000 vinyls

.  A "record player" is just not satisfactory, desoite the Clueless who embrace this fad. Learning to play an instrument (get lessons!!!) is a rewarding skill that will bring joy to you forever - after you invest some serious hours of learning and practice (again - get lessons!)

Source(s): Career classical musIcians and teachers since 1973.

A turntable will allow you to play vinyl records but you first need to own enough to make it worth while buying a turntable.  I am an old fart so I have hundreds of 12" LP records and have a high quality, hi-fi turntable and related hi-fi amplification but the truth is I only use it once or twice a year.  I listen far more to CDs or to tracks that I have ripped from CDs or LPs onto a computer, phone or MP3 player.  A modern turntable is far more of a fashion statement than a sensible music playing device.

A guitar is a hobby and a means of expression. Playing guitar enables us to communicate through music and to build bridges with other people. A guitar is there for you when you are sad and alone or when you are filled with joy. Being a guitar player becomes part of who you are. For me, as a guitar player for over 50 years, it is a no-brainer. Turntables will go out of fashion again but guitars will not.

Good guitars are expensive. Good acoustic guitars are VERY expensive. It may be possible to buy a reasonable second-hand guitar for $100 but not a new one. We have to buy what we can afford but that can be a problem because a guitar that is not good enough will make it much harder for us to learn to play. We may give up in frustration, thinking we are not good enough when it is the guitar that is not good enough. A new guitar for $100 is likely to be a waste of money. Buying a guitar based on its looks is likely to be a mistake. As musicians, we buy an instrument for its feel and its sound, regardless of any knocks or scratches so I suggest you buy the best 'used' guitar you can within your budget.

• Mamianka

Excellent response!  Kudus from a Kindred Fartress.

Buy what you really like, you don’t have to get people to tell you what to do, try seeing what you like best.