Hannah asked in Dining OutFast Food · 11 months ago

Why are people especially rude to fast food employees? ?

I currently work in a seafood restaurant, and I have worked there for a year and nine months . I am a cashier , and I work front counter, drive thru, and dining room positions. I am not a cook , so I have nothing to do with the process of preparation of the food that we serve. However, when any of the orders are messed up, even slightly, the customers will take it out on the cashiers as if we had anything to do with how the food was made. Our job is to handle transactions, take orders, hand orders out, and keep the dining room clean. We have nothing to do with cooking or plating the food. Also, the restaurant I work at has excellent cashier staff who rarely messes up when taking an order, and as degrading as it sounds, it is typically the kitchen staff that plates orders incorrectly. I was wondering, and if actually like to hear from people who take their anger out on cashiers , you know who you are. However, I was wondering how people could be so incompetent. 

• Favorite Answer

Most people don't know what goes on behind the scenes at fast food places. They don't know who's responsible for doing what. You took the order, so they think you're the one to blame if things go wrong with their food. If you think some one is being rude to you, get the manager involved asap. You don't have to deal with people that are being rude and abusive towards you. 

Only idiots are rude.

Sometimes, I think people do not know how to graciously receive service.  No one should abuse you in your job.

because we can't go back there and yell at the cooks, dummy....

PLUS, YOU were the one who wrote down the order, did you not? so you could have something to do with it. and the cooks just did what it said.

• CB

Unfortunately, you are the face of the company, trapped behind the cash register - they could ask to speak to a manager but that would likely take several more minutes to happen - so you get the brunt of the ire. 

One thing you can do to defuse - just say "I understand" then "I will be sure to pass along your issues to the manager". Don't apologize, some people just want a free meal, but knowing someone cares and understands and will pass along their problem is often enough to  defuse the anger to some extent. 

Welcome to the wonderful world of retail, sameshit used to happen to me when I worked at Monkey Wards in the 70s, that is why I got the hell out. 

Not I; I am nice to people who handle my food....

• Because people are, at times, terrible. It gives them a sense of power to treat people like crap when all it does is reveal them to be garbage people. If you make a mistake (and we all make mistakes) apologise and do your best to make it right. You never deserve verbal abuse.

• Bob

I don't think that people are especially rude to fast food employees, and if they are, it's because employees at fast food restaurants make more  more mistakes and more silly mistakes than employees at other  restaurants do.

Most people don't understand what it is like to work in the service industry. Therefore, they think you are beneath them.

I see a lot of frustration stems from the speed of service.  It is fast food after all.  Whether it be that the crew is understaffed or just poorly managed, the only thing the customer cares about is their order.  One of my own pet peeves is when restaurants operate short staff, not enough food to make all of the menu items and overall disorganization.  But I can usually gauge this when I walk in the door and walk back out.