Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

Am I a bad person for flushing my sick beta fish down the toilet Instead of taking it to the vet? Do people actually take fish to the vet?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

100%. Thats the same as flushing a hamster because you won't treat it. Bettas can be cured with medicine and aquarium salts. 

Fish are still pets, and Bettas are one of if not THE smartest pet fish you could have. If you won't treat your pet when it's sick then leave it to people who will. The fact you even had to ask disgusts me

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

yes. you are. please dont get a pet if you dont have plans to help it when its in need. bettas, and even other pets in general, aren't decoration. theyre living creatures. bettas are actually the smartest kind of pet fish so that makes it even more wrong. 

did you not have the money to help it? you should have just let him live through his last days. 

flushing fish with diseases also contaminates your local water.

so please, in the future, do not get a pet if you dont have the idea to take care of it. and if your fish passes on, bury them.

• 1 month ago

Its cheaper to go buy 10 more fish then take 1 to a vet...

• Tobi1 month agoReport

They don't need to go to a vet. Ten minutes of research and some medicine or salts would have cured it. Pets aren't things you can throw away

• 2 months ago

Peter Gore Seer,

I Am Thinking Of Using A Vet, Doctors Are A Waste Of Time, Work 20 Hour Weeks, Start At 9am. Finish At 10 am, And Get A Hour For Dinner.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Could have euthanised him with clove oil, I understand thats the most effective way if there is nothing you can do, whats likely happened; as your waste pipes are not full of water, if you lift the sewage covers which are usually found in your yard, you will see that these arnt full of water, after getting smacked from pipe to pipe before being dragged along a concrete waste pipe he will have either got stuck under one of these covers where he either suffocated to death, or got ate by a rat, failing that and he reached the main sewage line alive then the extreme ammonia levels will have burned him alive alongside sufficating him, people do take fish to the Vets but the majority of ailments can be cured at home, and can be prevented with proper care to begin with

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

no......................................

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You are disgusting. May Oblivion consume you!

• 2 months ago

You are a bad person, in fact you're evil!

• 2 months ago

There are very few incidents were a specialized vet "ichthyologist" could even help a fish. 

If you have tried everything you can it is sometimes the most humane thing you can do to humanly help our pets move on.

That being said, flushing a fish down the toilet is about the least human thing you could do for a live animal.  He could suffer for days or weeks in the human filth.

the most humane method of euthanasia is clove oil, done properly, the fish will fall asleep, and you make sure he doesn't wake up.

A blow to the head kills instantly, decapitation kills instantly.   

• 2 months ago

i dont think so, i would ask a vet if they ever see fish

• Tobi1 month agoReport

When you own fish ( i have a Pleco, betta, and two goldfish) you should have Aquarium salt on hand at all times. They're still pets and deserve the best care

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.