Should I call the cops on my neighbors for smoking pot?

To be clear here I have nothing against smoking weed, the smell never bothered me. But I feel like calling the cops on my neighbors for weed is really feeling like the only resort I have. 

The problem is that they live downstairs so all their cigarette smoke drifts up into my apartment windows. My mom got diagnosed with asthma, and even the doctor wrote a note about how the cigarette second hand smoke is likely the cause of it. These neighbors moved in like 8 months ago, and my mom got asthma about 5 months ago. My mother has never smoked in her life, and may I also mention that I have a 17 year old brother who’s had asthma since he was 5 years old. So these neighbors are really not helping my brother, and just making my mom sick. I get constant headaches from the smoke, it’s like as if someone has entered my bedroom or bathroom and smoked a whole pack of cigarettes. We tried talking to the landlord and he says he can’t do **** about it. So we even tried to show the neighbors the doctors note that my mom was given, stating that her asthma is most likely the cause of second hand smoke. We asked if they could close their windows, or maybe smoke outside by the dumpster (not even 10 sec away from their front door). Us talking to them nicely hasn’t worked, one of those neighbors even told us “I don’t give a **** what you got”. So at this point I feel like the only resort I got is to call the cops on them for weed(not rec. here) maybe they’ll just move out.

Favorite Answer

Yes, call the cops on them. They sound very selfish neighbours and you don't need such people making your life difficult.

• PAMELA

So call the cops then!

no dont call the cops, coz they might pull

a gun on you

better to move and get a better apartment

elsewhere

there is a very good ayurvedic medicine

that contains "terminalia chebula" that

relives all the symptoms of asthma

That's a landlord and city housing code issue. Police aren't well versed in housing law; with the exception of things that are imminent threats or obviously hazards to one's safety.

Probably better to move out.

• sam4 months agoReport

Even thought marijuana is not recreational here, and medical cards are really hard to get? Plus they’re like an arm and a leg expensive to get a med card. 

Mind your own business. If the smell comes too strong, just let your neighbor know

• Edna

Or, close your own windows, so that the smell of weed won't go into your apartment. it the SMELL of weed you're getting; you're not getting second-hand smoke from weed.

You need to switch doctors. No one can develop asthma  in adulthood from being exposed to secondhand smoke for 3 months. If your doctor told you that, he's an idiot.

But to answer your questions, if it is illegal to have pot where you live, then by all means, call the cops. Not sure what they'll do, and you'll end up being targeted by your neighbors who will know it's you that called on them. I recommend finding a new place to live if the landlord is such an asshole they won't do anything about it.

• Edna

Leave your neighbors alone!  What they do in their own apartment is none of your business. I suppose you could call the cops, but the general attitude of most cops is that what a person does inside his own private house or apartment is his business only.