Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 months ago

Richard Dawkins said that religion is child abuse. Should it be treated as such under the law?

• Word
    Favorite Answer

No. Abuse is malicious. Raising your child by your beliefs is not malicious. Of course some people who are religious can be abusive in their beliefs, kicking their children out on the streets for being gay, beating the fear of "God" into them, and what have you, but simply taking a child to church isn't the same thing as that.

I may disagree with what they believe, but I will defend their right to believe it. No way would I ever want a government dictating what beliefs are "abuse" 

Sure. Just come up with some proof that all religions and all believers abuse children.

One day it will be seen as child abuse.

• Piero

It should most assuredly be treated as child abuse. Exposing children to such violence and evil before age 18 has to have a negative effect on their minds.

• Paul

Not in a country that believes in freedom. Maybe in Communist China.

Our Intelligent Designer doesn't think it is which trumps whatever Richard Dawkins thinks about it.

Source(s): The God Yahweh our Intelligent Designer and the missing link in the chain of evolution and is the single common ancestor of all life on earth.

I'd like to see where you got that quote from, partly because I don't believe he did say that. 

I have heard him say something to the effect that teaching children to unthinkingly and without question believe in the teachings of a particular religion (particularly some of the more ridiculous ones) is wrong and is, effectively, abuse. 

I certainly have some sympathy with that view and believe that teaching children anything that is simply wrong or incorrect is a form of abuse. 

Would it be acceptable to teach children that it is a fact that the Earth is flat? Should we teach them that the USA lied about putting men on the Moon and that all the “evidence” was faked? Do we really want children to blindly accept these things?

That would be the same as teaching them that the whole Universe was created by magic in six days by a supernatural being or that the whole human race is descended from a single couple created by magic, or that the story of The Great Flood is a factual account of something that really did happen exactly as described.

Note that there is a huge distinction between teaching children that these are things that some people believe (which they SHOULD be taught) and teaching them that these things are fact.

Should this be reflected in law? I'd say, at the moment, no. Apart from the moral question of preventing parents from teaching their children things that they genuinely believe (for example that “God” exists), I do not think that most people would actually welcome such a law. I do think thought that any kind of publicly-funded institution should be prevented from doing this. That would do for starters.

• Liz

Notice God’s counsel to Israelite parents in Moses’ time: “These words that I am commanding you today must prove to be on your heart; and you must inculcate them in your son.” (Deuteronomy 6:6, 7) So parents need to do two things. First, they need to learn and apply God’s Word themselves, actually coming to love God’s laws. (Psalm 119:97) Then they are in a position to apply the second part of the scripture—to “inculcate” God’s laws in their children. That means impressing the value of such laws on their children’s hearts through effective teaching and frequent repetition.

Once the child is of age he/she can decide for themselves whether to stay in the religion or not.

Source(s): jw.org

Evolutionism is child abuse! Oh yeah. Evolutionism is a religion too.

Carry on.

• Mack

First we need to make sure religion is not an impediment to healthcare.