Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 4 months ago

Does connecting your desktop to the internet though your smartphone, for long periods of time, damage the phone?

Recently, my Windows 8.1 broke down and I am using an old entry level Windows 7, until it s fixed. The Windows 7 doesn t have WiFi and I am unable to find the Ethernet. I still have the wifi connection to my phone and have connected the desktop to the internet that way (usually to read or watch a video).

Not especially savvy with this sort of thing and don't want to damage the phone.

Phone is connected to desktop by USB but the phone receives the internet.

Favorite Answer

No, it won't damage your phone. However, you'll find that you are using your cellphone data plan rather than your home Internet when you connect it that way. I'd suggest you either find the Ethernet or buy a new Ethernet cable as soon as possible, if you don't want to incur any overage charges.

• Lv 7

if it was something that could damage the phone, it wouldn't be very good technology.

no, you should be fine :)