ricky
ricky asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 11 months ago

What’s a good AR 15 to buy my son for Christmas? He’s 37 years old, and new to firearms. ?

A friend recommends DPMS AP4 @ $698. 

Favorite Answer

Without having any further details, I'd say that the Ruger AR-556 and the Smith & Wesson M&P-15 models are both in the "you can't go wrong" category.

Both of them use a standard AR-15 design, so your son can swap out parts and customize it if/when he wants to.

Both of them are good quality at a reasonable price point from well respected US based manufacturers.

Both companies have great reputations for standing behind the quality of their products. I've actually had repairs done to firearms from both of these companies, and in both cases their customer service was excellent, and they repaired the damaged firearms at no cost to me (even paid shipping both ways).

Both of these rifles are common enough and have enough market demand that if your son decides he doesn't want to keep it, he can easily sell it or trade/cosign it at a local gun shop and either get credit toward another gun or cash.

Great gift by the way.

If he is that old and is new to firearms, sounds like he is not interested in them.

• Mr.357

I would say as long as you stay away from Del-Ton, you would be OK.  My son did buy a DPMS LR-243 and it had the ABSOLUTE worse trigger I have ever encountered, even worse than WWII Russian battle rifles.  It may have been a 1 off.  He replaced the trigger and it became a MOA gun.

I would start a newbie with a single action six shot revolver. Far less likely to do something stupid with it.

Palmento Armory had a AR15/Bushmaster plain model advertised for just under $500.00 .   For something fancier for target serious use- Rhino engineering has 22, 24 inch heavy barrels with clean gas piston operating tube instead of open gas tube and carrier that can get fouled - double price of plain version. 

• Mj

There is no ar type firearm for somebody new to guns. Get him a single shot bolt action .22. 

A S&W M&P 15 or Ruger AR-556 are decent brand names at a budget price.  There are others, but just make sure the AR you buy was made by a company that has been making guns and ARs for years and not a fly-by-night vendor that has no quality control on their parts or assembly.

Also, if he is new to firearms, perhaps start with a Ruger 10/22 to get used to the mechanics of shooting with ammo that is 5 cents a round rather than 30 cents a round.  If he has a bench (or prone position) to shoot off of you can throw in a bipod.

Would you buy a Ferarri for someone that just got their driver's license? An AR of any kind is not an appropriate firearm to buy a person that isn't familiar with firearms, in my opinion.

Get a nice Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle - the rifle carried by sheep farmers in the back window of their trucks. This gun shoots the same bullets as the AR-15 platforms but does not scare people.

none, the democrats will take them away next year so save your money