Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEntertaining · 4 months ago

Would fake cigars be an ok selfie prop for teen 1920's themed party?

My daughter loves history and her friends asked if they could throw a surprise party for her based on the 20's. We bought a selfie prop kit, but it has cigars in it. Now, I'm sure they'd love pretending to be mobsters, but would it be appropriate? Keep in mind, these are all Christian and Jewish girls. 

• Clive
    Favorite Answer

Well, lots of people smoked then, so it would look wrong if nobody did.  Fake ones that would look good in photos seems like the perfect solution.  Though I'm sure it was more the men who smoked cigars.  Fake cigarettes would look more right for the gals, don't you think?  Using long cigarette holders?  Though I'm sure some daring ones enjoyed a cigar.

Sounds like fun!  It reminds me of the problem theatres (yes I'm British) have putting on a play where the characters smoke and it wouldn't work if they didn't, it's in the script, but with modern law about not smoking in public places they can't do that live on stage.  Of course the answer is to fake it so it LOOKS right.

Just like the alcohol - of course there was Prohibition then, but mobsters ignored that, they were breaking the law in so many other ways anyway, so you want drinks that LOOK like wine or cocktails.  There are plenty of "mocktail" recipes using fruit juice.

All the best for giving her a good time!  LOL I can't help thinking of "Bugsy Malone".

I would not use the cigars.