What is your favorite album from the NWOBHM band Venom?

My favorite Venom album is Black Metal.

• Andrew

Easily "Welcome to Hell." Great songs, great atmosphere, what is there not to love about it? It's not polished and refined. It's just gritty and the songs are really simple. There's zero pretense here. Venom was not a band that was looking to prove anything to anyone and I love how in-your-face and amateurish and just downright fun this record is. It never gets old. 

"Black Metal" is obviously much better from a musical standpoint, but it doesn't have the same sense of magic or the same kind of crudeness to its aura as "Welcome to Hell" does. It almost defies logic that it's pointed to as being such a huge influence on so many different genres from thrash to death to black metal, just because so many of the bands in those scenes seem to take themselves so seriously and one would think that the tongue in cheek look and sound that Venom were about would come off as so cheesy to them, but people tend to put "Black Metal" on a pedestal, which while I like it, I really don't, and never have. 

"At War With Satan" is really the only other Venom record worth talking about, but if you ask me, it's easily the worst of their big three. I've just always found it to be so over the top in terms of how ridiculously silly it is, but there are a few decent moments to be found. 

My favourite Venom song of all time is "D.O.A. (Dead on Arrival)", what a fantastic riff. I forget what EP that one was on, but that's the Venom CD I used to listen to the most.    

• Velkommen til Helvete og Svart metal.

welcome to hell VENOM 

angel witch ANGEL WITCH

I Don't know if you consider IRON MAIDEN into this wave but if yes "iron maiden" and "killers" too