Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

I decided to disown my parents because they chose not to teach me their native language. What if I think they deserve it?

In my opinion, parents who choose not to teach their children their native language don't deserve to have children.

I asked why my parents never taught me their native language and they told me "it's none of your business". So, one day, I left the house forever, never to return. I left them to deal with the pain of possibly never seeing me again.

After working at a Distribution Center and a local Creamry for 5 years and graduating from College, I moved to Italy where I currently work as a multilingual translator and interpreter.

I may stay in Italy, I may not. Because there are other places where I want to travel to like Spain, France, Hong Kong and Japan.

Favorite Answer

Be sure you pay them back for all of their food you ate, and the cost of your medical care, etc..If they purchased any clothing for you, you might pay that back too.

I never taught my children my native language.You can never disown your parents.If you want to learn their native language then take a course and your parents may want to help you.

Some people don't teach their children their native language for their (the children's ) protection . For instance there was a time when Italians faced a lot of discrimination in the U.S. so back then Italian parents wouldn't teach their children Italian so that when they grow up nobody would think of them as "Italian ". Mexicans who have lived in the U.S. for several generations have also faced discrimination and they too have abstained from teaching Spanish to their kids in order that they might never gave discrimination.. On YouTube you can find lots of people bullying other people for speaking foreign languages ..I dont think a parent would want their child to experience such bullying or hatred .

Uh huh.  How long did it take you to make that up?

Not a credible story, but if it were true it would mean you not only WERE very foolish, but still are. Many loving parents make that mistake because they think it will be most helpful to their children to concentrate on the language of their new country. They have no idea they are depriving them of something very useful. They certainly didn't do it out of spite. 

If they were abusive to you, it would make sense for you to run away from home like a junior high-schooler. But not speaking their native language at home is simply ignorant, and in no way abusive. You still sound very immature, ungrateful and vindictive, which is why I don't believe your "story."

You think they don't deserve to have children? Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe you don't deserve to have parents. Oh wait. Then you wouldn't exist.

You would have to ask them this question.

How would have liked it IF your child did the same to you? 

Sometimes horrible things have happened to people, and knowing the other language can cause dangers! 

Look at what Hitler did in upper Europe and Italy did at the same time in southern Europe during WW2! 

There is a really TV show made in Wales to be around the 1890s. Two families are to go and live the same as people did back then. The men have to cut slate perfect to be paid at their  Wales job.   I am terrible at remembering names; watch this. What do you think of the Wales language?

Pray to GOD  for answers also!