I just was placed on disability and only make 800 a month. How is it even possible to live on this?

I’m not complaining, but I am legit curious how anyone can afford to live on disability in America.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It is impossible to be self supporting and living on an income of only $850 here i te USA. You'll obviously have to get some welfare/social assistance benefits, i.e., heating assistance, food stamps, low income rentals, etc. Contact all agencies in your state/community and don't overlook the churches and other on government agencies that assist. Good luck.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

roommates, food stamps....

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

With family or friends.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If it's SSDI, it's paid out of social security and is essentially what you would have been eligible to collect from SS at your full retirement age.  Sounded like you worked for at least 40 quarters but not much past there or at low paying jobs.

SSDI is simply a benefit you get from SS, it's not intended to be a living wage just as SS isn't intended to be.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

There are many different disability problems - we don't know which one you are on:

short term disability / long term disability.... public / private.... ssi (welfare) / ssdi???

If it's a public welfare based problem, such as SSI or something similar = yes, there is no way to live on that in most areas.  STOP THE WELFARE FRAUD so people who need the help can get a valid amount of money.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Family? Roommates? Group home? Rent a room in a private home? There are ways, but you won't be living large.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.