Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

My EX Boss Wants To Take Back a Computer He Gave Me To Keep After An Argument We Had.?

So my boss had previously lend me a lap top to use for work for his business and I signed an agreement to return the equipment not using my full name on the agreement paper, I gave the lap top back because it was too slow he then bought a desktop computer which he then GAVE to me to keep not as an equipment to use for work and well long story short we got into an argument and I quit the job giving him back the work phone he lend me to use but now hes been bugging me almost harassing me to return the computer he gave me to keep, at this point Im so mad at him that I dont feel like I should return this computer because he gave it to me to keep not to use for work but since he wants to bother me he wants me to return it, he has message me to give back this computer he gave me but I want to teach him a lesson and not give it back since he verbally gave it to me to keep,now the only thing im scared of is for him to try to sue me or call the cops to return this computer because hes trying to all of the sudden act like this computer was a lend one for work which is not true what can I do? what are my rights? what can I say to get him to leave me alone? and to not let him get away with taking away what he gave to me all because hes bothered at the fact that I want nothing to do with him. Help please.   

Gifts don't have to be returned. He can't call the police for help because they'll tell him it's a civil matter. He'd have to sue you in civil court, but even then, he would have to lie in court and say it wasn't a gift to have a chance to win. My advice is stop talking to him about it and see what he does.

Do you have proof the machine was given to you with no expectation of return? My guess is no, and you will lose, as he can prove he bought it and will claim it was for work.

Give it back. The written agreement for the previous one plus you giving back the phone support HIS story that he loaned this device to you, and you have NOTHING to back up your story that he gave it to you. You'll lose if you are sued, and you will pay his court costs, too.

Lend?  Do you mean lend?  Someone who faces you in Court - criminal OR civil - is going to bury you.

You could write "Mickey Mouse" as your signature on a contract. It's still an enforceable contract.  Don't believe me.  Ask an attorney in your area.

If the desk top replaced the  lap top I'll say the contract is still in effect.  Why would he "lent" (as you put it) a laptop to you but GIVE you a desktop.

Sure, teach him a lesson and don't give it back.  He will then teach you a lesson either criminally - if the Police are interested - or civilly (and Small Claims Court WILL be interested).

What are your rights?  You have the right to be able to follow the law.  You have the right to learn how to spell and write in English.  You have the right to be arrested and sued.

You may be able to keep it and win in court, if he would even bother to take you to court. He made you sign for the laptop which he got back I'm guessing, look over that agreement. 

What is the current value of the computer? (You can look that up). He shouldn't call the cops as you did not steal it. If they come to your house asking about it you can give it back or say it was a gift. He would then have to take you to court to get it's current value or you could give it to him in court. 

My guess is you would have a good case to keep it depending on the agreement you signed, the name you signed is irrelevant. 

Is it really worth it to keep it? 

Good luck whatever you decide.

i would give it back to him so he dont call the cops on you

Unless you have it in writing that it's a gift, then it 's a loan for you to use while you work there. And when you stop working there, you have to give it back. And if you don't, it's theft and you can go to jail or be sued.