Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Readers, which novelist do you think came up with the best name for their most popular character?

I like Mark Sullivan's Robin Monarch. Monarch was born of thieves and became one himself. Even worked for the CIA after the Army. Anyway, he is a Thief that takes from the super-rich. In Rogue, he actually stole from royalty.

Robbing monarchs...

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Amber
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

I've read so many novels but I think Uriah Heap was a pretty good name from "David Copperfield".

• Login to reply the answers
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I disagree.  That's SO obvious, very childish and really cheesy. 

The names of characters really don't matter to me, as long as they're credible and not some immature attempt to reflect their personality.

The only exception to that is Dickens, as it wasn't cliche to do so in his era and they were used for specific purposes.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Neal Stephenson.  The main character in his novel Snow Crash is a guy named Hiro Protagonist.  He's a hacker and a pizza deliverator for the Mafia, and he has a roommate named Vitaly Chernobyl, who is the lead singer of the band Vitaly Chernobyl and the Meltdowns.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I couldn't begin to calculate the number of novels that I've read over the course of my life, but a low estimate would be over 500. How many have you read? If you've read five, then you wouldn't have much to go on when it comes to judging the quality of the names any given author might choose to bestow on a character, but if you've read 50, you'd be in a better position to say that one stands out in particular. The name you're praising isn't very notable, and if it impresses you because you find the very obvious connotations to be intelligent, then I don't think many people would agree. Start making your way through Dickens' body of work and tell me that man didn't have a special gift for naming characters. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

That's an opinionated question. What some think is best may not be best to someone else.

• 1 month ago

He stole from royalty? Wow. He seems quite the character, doesn't he? Yes, he does! It's great what these author types can come up with these days; it really is. Amazing.

• 1 month ago

So...you like the "on the nose" sorts of names.

I like something that suggests culture and background of the character (as do real names)

or

something that is humorous and/or ironic and/or leads to a surprise-twist

like the nickname "The Wart" in "The Sword in the Stone" by T.H. White.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.