Which is harder? Spanish or Portuguese?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Portuguese for me, however being fluent in Spanish and having friends from Brazil don't mind Portuguese terribly difficult to understand .. Speaking is a different matter however since I have never studied it while I did take multiple years of Spanish.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

the one you hate

• 1 month ago

I tried both and I think Spanish is harder than Portuguese!

• Pontus
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The American Foreign Service Institute says that Spanish & Portuguese have equal difficulty for an English speaker learning a first foreign language to competency (not fluency).  Both are level I languages (the easiest level on their list, but no foreign language is easy), each requiring about 575-600 hours for competency. 

Sometimes a level I language is easier in the beginning than other level I languages. Spanish is often listed as one of those, compared to some other level I ones, such as French.  I do not know how it compares to Portuguese at the beginning. 

However, if you learn to an intermediate or advanced level, they have equal difficulty. 

Portuguese does have a few grammatical concepts that are utterly unique among the Romance languages, but it doesn't affect the number of study hours required (the only objective way to measure difficulty). 

Of course, people often have different opinions, based on subjective evaluations (focusing on some aspects while ignoring others). 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It only depends on people.... Make your own opinion...

• 1 month ago

to me it would be portuguese since i already know spanish

• ...Show all comments
    • Don Verto
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Same here.I can understand most written Portuguese.Spanish has a lot of difficulties which may not exist in P.

• 1 month ago

For an English speaker, probably Portuguese. Spanish and English are part of the Romance language (Latin) so they share many similarities. 

• Pontus
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

1. English isn't a Romance language. But it borrowed a ton of vocab from Old French (Romance) & from Latin itself. 2. Portuguese is also a Romance language.

Lv 7
    1 month ago

I seen little kids in each country speak fluently so they can't be too hard to learn.

• 1 month ago

Portuguese.     

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.